PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II FV failure to extract

s1rk1118
11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I am consistantly getting about 1 in five fte's. Have used 2 different kinds of Federal (bulk) and Winchester Dynapoints. Have cleaned the bolt face and extractor claws. The bullets are difficult to extract (tight). Any help as this has become a real headache.

82boy
11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I had the same problem in mine, with Lapua ammo. I had someone take a reamer and clean up the chamber, but I have yet to fire it to see if this fixed the problem.

LG
11-15-2009, 10:09 PM
My MkII does that too. Try scrubbing the chamber really well with a brass brush. It should help. My rifle fails to extract a lot more often if I shoot subsonic ammo, probably bacause the bullets are coated with lube/wax and that stuff builds up in the chamber. With copper plated ammo it fails to extract a lot less frequently (but it still happens at times). Anyway I have learned that I can minimize the problem by cleaning the chamber well and often.

JCalhoun
11-18-2009, 09:08 PM
There is no cure for it. It's a bad design.

Shooting target grade standard velocity ammo tends to help but it will still happen from time to time.

skoger
11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
With 20 years expeirence under my belt as a gunsmith, I have this problem on a regular basis. First thing I ask, is how is what kind of ammo are you using. Usually it is a mart/bargain box, lead tip. You can get the front of the chamber so gummed up, carbon built up that it is hard as a rock. I have even seen the same thing in a Anschutz BR rifle that liked some of the cheap stuff, that was sorted by weight/rim thickness. I usually soak the chamber/throat area with a good cleaner, shooter choice, take a bronze brush on a short section of cleaning rod, wrap some #0000 steel wool around it and chuck in a hand drill. Then I only insert to the chamber front/throat, run for 15 seconds at a time, then brush and swab with a different brush. Usually clean in 2-3 tries. I had a guy bought a $1500 Anshcutz for $600, tuner and all, because of this, we cleaned it good, chamber and barrel, shot about 40 rounds to condition the barrel. He went back 2 weeks later and won 3 of 5 matches with this gun. Might not be your problem, but seems like what I have run into a lot. The savage action and bolt head are very similar to an Anshcutz, so I think it is a sound design. I have also run into this with Rem. 541's, Ruger 77/22's, Ruger MK 2 pistols. Just my 2cents worth hope this helps.

JCalhoun
11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
The problems happens with cheapest Remington bulk, Lapua match and everything imaginable in between.

They also have trouble with hyper velocity ammo like Stingers and Yellow Jackets.

shelbyfan
11-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Call Savage

Josh Smith
11-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Mine was doing this, and I'm a bit of a gunsmith.

The problem seems to be simple: Pull the extractor, and you will see one of two things - flash, or unevenness where the part was pulled.

In my case, it was the latter, like this from the factory.

A coarse stone cleaned it right up, and it functions fine now.

As an aside, reading up on this problem, it seems that it's pretty widespread. Maybe some notes to Savage would be in order to fix their extractor making machine? ;D

Josh <><

mrlypage
11-21-2010, 05:59 PM
The problems happens with cheapest Remington bulk, Lapua match and everything imaginable in between.

They also have trouble with hyper velocity ammo like Stingers and Yellow Jackets.

I agree with this observation... at least with my MK II .22LR. Just got back from the range and shot 80 rds (four different types of ammo) from a just cleaned bolt-action:

1 CCI Stinger: 9/10 good, 1 FTE (over 1600 fps... fastest of the four types)
2 CCI Velociter (sp?): 10/10 good (2nd fastest at over 1400 fps)
3 American Eagle: 10/10 good
4 Blazer: 9/10 good, 1 FTF (Cheapest... $1.95 for 50 rds)
5 CCI Stinger: 6/10 good, 3 FTE, 1 FTL (over 1645 fps... fastest of the four types)
6 CCI Velociter (sp?): 10/10 good
7 American Eagle: 10/10 good
8 Blazer: 10/10 good

CL1KKL4C
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I had this problem a few years ago. Honestly the guys over at rimfirecentral just told me to pull the clip spring off the bolt and pinch it tighter, havent had a problem since. My buddy had the same issue with his new BTVS and it also worked for him. Seems too easy but it worked for me.

nkosi
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I only get this problem when using empty cases to practise dry firing at home (yes I do rotate the case so that the firing pin hits a different section of the rim) & then only with the more expensive brands & sometimes with Federal&#39;s std velocity cases. I never have this problem withh cheap std velocity CCI cases though & I have never had this problem when actually firing the rifle on the range.

It does seem that the CCI case rims are slightly larger & softer than the Lapua rims & may give the extractor more to grip onto - I am not sure. I will try CLIKKL4C&#39;s clip spring suggestion above.

Crane
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I had the same problem with Wolf MT. Rifle worked good in warm weather as it got colder the trouble started. I cleaned the chamber, took the extractor out and tighten the spring etc. no help. The last time out it was 380. I loaded the clip and put the clip/ammo in my pocket with a hand warmer to keep the ammo warm. No problem extract eject every round. I think my problem is a tight chamber which I will leave alone. And wax on the ammo that when cold may hold the shell in the chamber a little tighter and a miss shapen extractor that over rides the rim when there is a little resistance on extraction. What I did after the last range session was to remove the extractor and grind a little off the inside of the extractor (between the tip and body I did not touch the tip) so the very tip will hook into the rim shell body first. It&#39;s been so darn cold I haven&#39;t had a chance to see if the reshaped extractor works.
Don

wormtosser
11-18-2011, 02:48 AM
I realize how old this thread is, but since this is still the thread that pops up if one asks Google, I figure it may help somebody somewhere, so here's my 2 cents...

My new BTVS failed to extract a couple of CCI Stingers the first time out, but everything else extracted just fine. The problem grew worse over the next couple of range trips; it started to fte on Mini Mags too, and Stingers got so bad that I gave the rest of my box to the guy in the next lane.

So I hailed Lord Google and stumbled into this thread. Looking over the possible solutions, the 'pinching the spring clip on the bolt' method looked easiest, so I did that. Since I had the extractor claws out anyway, I took a look and sure enough, the pointy one was a little rough/flashy on the inside of the long arm. Three or four swipes with my fish hook stone and it looked great. And since the bolt was out, I did a little polishing on that too, as per some other threads.

Went to the range yesterday. Bolt is slick, extractor works better than the bouncer at my favorite bar, and all is right with the world.