PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Savage feeding.

Ishooter
11-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi all. I just got a new Savage (11FCNS in 243 Winchester). I like it. I was running some dummy rounds through it to check function. About every other round hung up. Any one have a cure for that. It has been raining here and I haven't had a chance to zero the rifle in yet. So as of now it hasn't been shot. That shouldn't make a difference in function. I changed the order of the dummy rounds and that made no difference. I thought at first it might be the rounds, it isn't. Any one have any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you much for your time.

bbradford71
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
When you say hanging up, what exactly do you mean? I had a similar issue where the bolt was not catching the third round and loading it into the chamber, the bolt was just passing over top of the round. I took the barreled action off of the stock and slightly opened up the lips on the internal mag and problem solved.

Ishooter
11-24-2011, 05:35 AM
The rifle has a detachable mag. When you go to slide the bolt closed, the shell hangs. I backed the bolt off a little and the shell dropped free. I guyed it into the chamber and closed the bolt and cycled it through. It didn't rain today and I got out to sight it in. It only hung up once out of fifty rounds. I went through thirty hand loads and a box of Winchester, all 100 GR. The best I could do to day was about 1.5" at 100 yards. I put a 4X20 Weaver on it. That 20X is really nice you don't need a spotting scope with it. I am going to try and tune my load. I am using 42 GR of Reloder 22 under a 100GR spitzer from Sierra. I shot twenty flat base and ten boat tail. At my skill level they shot about the same. I have a TC in 243 that I get 3/4" at a 100 yards with the boat tail lode. Then I never used the flat base load in it. Any one have any really good 243 load.

kenn1320
11-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey I have the same problem with my model 111 in 270 win. Thanks to your suggestion I pulled my mag out and did a little tweaking to the retainer lips (spread them out) and now my gun cycles ever round, ever time. Thanks!
Ken