PDA

View Full Version : stock inletting

jraney
11-21-2011, 12:06 AM
i was not real sure where to put this so i figured this place would work best. i have an idea but would like some oppinions.
i will start out by say i do not have alot of money to spend so i would like the most cost effective way to do this. i was thinking
or wondering about semi making my own stock. that is me coming up with the wood and dooing the basic shape i want and then sending it somewhere that can do the entire inletting from the tang to the end of the barrell channel. also i am thinking about making the stock out of some sort of light wood and then reinforcing it with fiberglass. the reason i want to do this myself is cost. i really like a vertiical grip and a few other things that seem to cost alot on most stocks. so if any of you have any ideas that would be great.

J

bbradford71
11-21-2011, 03:34 AM
I am no expert but I would think the cost alone of having someone inlet a stock would cost as much as buying a quality stock. You can get a Bell & Carlson for around $200, high quality for a good price.

jraney
11-21-2011, 03:40 PM
well SSS has it listed for 504 but i may try it myself. i think that a router and some hand tools should do, chisels and such. i know that power tools can take alot of materail real quick but with some practice i think i can do it.

bbradford71
11-21-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

jraney
11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
i gues i should proofread. i meant 50$ for inletting for a dbm. so if i do everything else i should have what i want for a very good price.

bbradford71
11-21-2011, 09:59 PM
I know a lot of smiths charge an hourly fee to do what you want, the smiths in my area charge between $60-$80 an hour with a one hour minimum. Plus the cost of shipping both ways if you have to send it off.

chemist1
11-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I might be mistaken but DBM inletting is a lot less work than full inletting. If you are looking for a cheap stock with a vertical grip find a used B & C or Choate tactical both can be had for around 150. The other option is to modify a factory stock with bondo to get the desired grip. This way you don't have to worry about getting the stock inlet.

ellobo
11-27-2011, 09:17 PM
If its cost that is holding you back, look at Boyds stocks. Under a $100. A lot cheaper than having inleting done. I have spent over 40 yrs custom building muzzloaders (flint and caplock) and believe me, you dont want to try inletting yourself. It took me several yrs to get good at it and it is hours of work. When your gettin $1500 for a rifle you better do it right. And thats a plain-jane rifle, no carving or engraving. That adds another $1000 to the price of a rifle. Quality parts alone will cost $7-800 before I ever put a tool to the wood.If you want fancy wood it will up the price of parts by another $200 at least.
El Lobo