PDA

View Full Version : what locktite for base screws?

Pages : [1] 2

bmt1
11-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Having some problems keeping scope base mounted tightly. Screws seem to work themselves loose no matter how tight they are torqued. What type of locktite would be correct to help stop this problem? Gun is a 7mm08 Lh. Hunter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. ???

Aircraftmech76
11-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Blue. Do NOT use red! It's designed for much larger diameter screws/bolts.

Kevin

bmt1
11-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Read on another post that the blue is the one to use on smaller screws. Anyone know otherwise, please speak-up.

hcpyro13
11-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I typically use the purple #222 on my bases.

-Jake

bythebook
11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
I use the blue on all the smaller screws.

bmt1
11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the info so far. Will check into these soon.

pdog06
11-21-2011, 11:18 PM
be careful of going just by the colors! Some cheaper brands use the same colors but are different strengths.

Just make sure you use one that is a medium strength, or says re-enterable...

keeki
11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
242 (blue)

dcloco
11-22-2011, 06:03 PM
NONE!

Something is not lined up correctly.

ALL of my rifles and the rifles I build do not have loctite on any screws.

A touch of grease on the threads and under the bolt head.

The 338 RUM (32" Rock Creek barrel, Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS - heavy scope) that we shoot all the time, does not have issues with anything loosening. This rifle shoots 300 gr SMK's like a dream....at 2950 fps.

laportecharlie
11-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree with dcloco on this one and I think Fred at SSS once stated the same thing. If all is correct, including torque, no thread locker is needed or desired.
Charlie

squirrelsniper
11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Blue medium strength #242.

But if the screws have ever been over-torqued, you may need new screws. Over-tightening the screws can stretch them past the normal working load and once that happens, you'll be lucky if you can ever get them to stay tight.

You definitely shouldn't be having trouble keeping screws tight on a 7mm-08.

keeki
11-22-2011, 09:12 PM
I agree, but if your gonna use it, better use low or intermediate strength not the red

GaCop
11-23-2011, 08:18 AM
I use the blue on all the smaller screws.

+1, Blue #242.

ourway77
12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I agree Blue Loctite never Red another suggestion when I mount a base on a rifle I set the screws by tapping the instulation tool by tapping with a hammer as I am turning the screw and I have never had a base shoot loose. I worked part time in a sporting goods store for 13-1/2 years and I mounted 100's of bases rings and scopes plus my own. Lou

sliderspal
12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Red can be used but heat may be needed to be applied to the bolt to loosen up the loctite when removing the bolt.
Heat will loosen loctite.

barrel-nut
12-23-2011, 02:03 PM
NONE!

Something is not lined up correctly.

ALL of my rifles and the rifles I build do not have loctite on any screws.

A touch of grease on the threads and under the bolt head.

The 338 RUM (32" Rock Creek barrel, Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS - heavy scope) that we shoot all the time, does not have issues with anything loosening. This rifle shoots 300 gr SMK's like a dream....at 2950 fps.

+1

Sounds to me like you have a stripped screw(s).

If the threads in the scope base mounting holes in the action are dirty, galled or otherwise messed up, clean them out with a degreaser like Gun Scrubber. Brake cleaner works too, just keep these away from your stock. Then chase the threads with a #6-48 tap, with a drop of oil. Clean again. Then use new screws and torque to 25-30 in.-lbs. If you suspect a mounting hole to have been stripped, then I wouldn't tighten it as much, and then i would use the blue loctite. Otherwise you shouldn't need it.

Also make sure the front mounting screws are not bottoming out against the bolt head or barrel shank.

jhelmuth
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Having some problems keeping scope base mounted tightly. Screws seem to work themselves loose no matter how tight they are torqued. What type of locktite would be correct to help stop this problem? Gun is a 7mm08 Lh. Hunter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. ???

Blue Loctite only. No heat required to remount later. Absolutely will NOT come undone on it's own after install, and does not have ANY negative effect on mounting. Never loctite anything but your bases and ensure the base to action contact surface is clean and free of dirt, oil, etc. Optionally, you may place a film of silicone lube between the bases and action if you have any concerns that you may get rusting or galvanic corrosion due to dissimialr metals (but make damn sure it's a 100% clean and thin film of silicone grease). Always use proper torque specs - NEVER over torque bases or rings.

sliderspal
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Blue Loctite only. No heat required to remount later. Absolutely will NOT come undone on it's own after install, and does not have ANY negative effect on mounting. Never loctite anything but your bases and ensure the base to action contact surface is clean and free of dirt, oil, etc. Optionally, you may place a film of silicone lube between the bases and action if you have any concerns that you may get rusting or galvanic corrosion due to dissimialr metals (but make damn sure it's a 100% clean and thin film of silicone grease). Always use proper torque specs - NEVER over torque bases or rings.

OK so what is considered "over torqued" for 6-48 base screws in your opinion?
I would figure as long as they are torqued from 15 to 25 inch lbs you should be GTG

tammons
01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Purple is made for fine threads but have used blue also.

Never use red.
Not necessary and impossible to break loose with tiny screws etc.

Deerhunter 28
01-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Blue