PDA

View Full Version : what locktite for base screws?

Pages : 1 [2]

ajlandis
01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm another vote for 'something isn't right'. I'd check the action/base mate. Base may need bedded to get a stress-free mount. Use fresh screws. As stated before, stretched screws won't be reliable. If using anything other than signature rings, I'd lap the rings to prevent scope kink in the case of a two piece base that aren't true to each other, you have a warped action, or the holes in your action for bases are drilled out-of-true. I haven't used any loctite on guns in years, and have not had a base or ring come loose. I torque bases and rings to 17-25 ft/lbs. Removing stress from the mounting set-up is more effective and safer for your rig than any amount of any loctite.

J.Baker
01-21-2012, 04:08 AM
+1 to the "Don't use anything" camp, especially if you're using allen head screws. I couldn't begin to count the number of scope base screw heads (allen) that have stripped out on me over the years w/o having any loctite on them. The screws are soft and cheap and strip out easily, so using loctite is just begging to have to drill one out in the future.

Torx screws and flat-head screws are a little better, but not much. My problem with the Torx ones is finding a #15 bit that won't break with only 25-30 in/lbs of torque applied. Craftsman - broke. Blackhawk - broke. S&K - broke. Kobalt - broke. And don't even think about using cheap off-brand "made in China" torx drivers. As for the flat-heads, as with any flat-head screw it's imperative to use a screwdriver of the appropriate width.

My recommendation would be to 1) get new screws and 2) run a tap through the receiver holes to make sure the threads are good. If that didn't solve the issue I'd D&T the receiver to accept the slightly larger 8-40 screws.

barrel-nut
01-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Craftsman - broke. Blackhawk - broke. S&K - broke. Kobalt - broke. And don't even think about using cheap off-brand "made in China" torx drivers.

Craftsman- Blackhawk- S&K- Kobalt- Made in China-....
Probably all.... Made in China.

yorketransport
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
My recommendation would be to 1) get new screws and 2) run a tap through the receiver holes to make sure the threads are good. If that didn't solve the issue I'd D&T the receiver to accept the slightly larger 8-40 screws.

I just had to do this with a new WSM action I bought. The screws wouldn't hold, so I just D&T up to 8-40 screws. Clean the threads and apply a very small amount of oil to the screws to get the proper torque. Dry threads don't take consistent/even torque in my experience.

Andrew