PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a starter reloading kit

Pages : [1] 2

Dennis
11-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Is there a good started kit out there that's worth the investment or ??????

stevec
11-15-2009, 07:39 PM
best deal out there, some people dont like Lee but plain and simple It works. Not a huge investment either.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=121744

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423081

I bought this set about 18 years ago and still use it today(They have upgraded the press since then)

Steve

MikeCTX
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
+1 what Steve said...started reloading just this year with the first one.

10fp
11-15-2009, 11:59 PM
yep, lee is cheaper and will make ammo just as well as the others.

tammons
11-16-2009, 12:40 AM
A few years ago, I bought a rock chucker kit because thats what everybody said to get.
If I did it again I would ge tthe lee, because the only thing I still use from the kit is the press.
That would have given me about $160 to spend on other stuff.

If you really get into it, you will want more stuff later on anyway, like an electrinic powder dispenser, better primer seater, maybe a prep station, etc etc.

Der Verge
11-16-2009, 06:59 AM
+1 on the Lee, except I think their scales suck. Buy the Lee kit, a quality scale, and you will set. Buy additional tools/ upgrade as needed.

Woodser
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a Rock Chucker press, but use all Lee dies at present, if that tells you anything. You can't go wrong with the Lee equipment.

Stu
11-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Yep, Lee anniversary kit................ Hard to beat for the money. ;D

Dennis
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
What about the Dillion RL 550B? Looks like a nice machine.

By the way, I want to reload 308, 243, and 22-250.

Woodser
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
If you are 100% sure reloading will be a hobby roe you for life, the Dillion is an excellent investment. Most recommend Lee so as to reduce the impact to a new reloader's budget, while still yielding excellent results. Not everyone who tries reloading sticks with it for a lifetime.

Dennis
11-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Which Dillion would be the best to get?

Woodser
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Which ever your budget can afford. None will be a wrong choice.

Eric in NC
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Which Dillion would be the best to get?

The 550B is the best combo of price and features in my opinion. But as the others said the Lee stuff works very well and is easy on the pocketbook.

I still have my first Lee press from the 70's and still use it (it is dedicated to decapping military primers now but it still works fine).

Not much "junk" out there in the handloading industry thankfully and all manufacturers that I know of stand behind there stuff to an unbelievable degree.

bythebook
11-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I started with Lee in the 60s and have had Lyman, RCBS & 3 more Lee presses, but the best is the Forester Co-ax press. It is the easiest to set up and easier on the arms to resize with and I wish I had gotten it a long time ago.

Der Verge
11-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Even if you are planning on going for the Dillon, the Lee kit is still a good place to start. It contains many smaller pieces you would have to buy seperate if you go Dillon. Also, I think starting off with a single stage set up is better. It will be more forgiving when it comes to adjustments and will allow you to absorb everthing that is going on during the loading process. It is easier for you to absorb the process when it is done one step at a time. Later on when you move to the Dillon, what is happening all at once will make more sence to you, and trouble shooting will be easier. If you are worried about wasting money on the Lee press, don't. Buy their universal decapper and put it in the press for decapping range brass before tossing them in the tumbler. It is a great setup for that.

geargrinder
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm not knocking the Dillon at all. But, I believe that a quality single stage press will make better ammo than any progressive.

Get a Lee kit to get going and start saving for a Forster Co-Ax and RCBS Chargemaster.

Then when you really want to drive yourself nuts, buy a RCBS Casemaster and start measuring runnout. ;D

Dennis
11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
WOW, everybody is pushing the Lee, there is a store in my area that has a complete Lyman kit. Nobody has mentioned this kit. Any comments?

Woodser
11-18-2009, 01:57 PM
We mention Lee because it has the best price for performance ratio.

Lyman is just as good as any. If you like it, buy it. It does not matter what you use. They will all produce usable ammo.

stevec
11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
We mention Lee because it has the best price for performance ratio.

Lyman is just as good as any. If you like it, buy it. It does not matter what you use. They will all produce usable ammo.

Exactly what woodser said. Everybody has their personal favorite but the lee is the lowest startup cost.(and is good equipment) I have lyman scales and They work fine, no better and no worse than any other I have tried. I also have lee,rcbs and cheap digital scales. The only one I wouldnt suggest is the cheap digital.

Steve

firemachine69
11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Go with the Breech Lock kit. Has surpassed all my expectations. :)

I added an MTM cheapo digi scale to make quick batches of rifle ammo. I just about doubled my loading speed with it, and I find it accurate to Lee's Safety Scale by +/- .1 grain. It also alleviates alot of that "am I reading this beam correctly?" and "why must the beam take so long to stabilize?"

I bet you guys who fret over that .1 grain difference, could get better accuracy simply by playing around with the distance to the lands, instead.