PDA

View Full Version : How heavy can you go

Pages : 1 [2]

dcloco
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I machined and installed a 32" straight shank stainless Rock Creek barrel on a Savage Target/LRPV single shot action. Did not use a barrel nut - kept the meat of the barrel.

To help prevent the possibility of bending the receiver, I bedded the barrel in the laminated target in the stock. Also lapped the lugs on this receiver/bolthead combo so that I have perfect alignment with the 338 RUM that lets 300 gr SMK's fly at 2950 fps. 26.5 lb rifle with Nightforce NXS on top. You MUST use a brake to control recoil even with this heavy of a rifle.

sharpshooter
11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Someone tell me...just how would you really know if and how much "action flex" you really have????

memilanuk
11-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Well... I'm not a machinist or gunsmith, but it seems like if you chucked the barreled action between the headstock and tailstock and got it spinning true, then positioned a dial indicator at the muzzle and slowly, gently backed off the tailstock to where the whole thing was now suspended by just the headstock (action) end, you might be able to see some deflection. Except the less rigid portion of the receiver would probably still be supported by the headstock, unless you clamped on the rear receiver bridge...

Dunno. Just spitballin' it ;)

Blue Avenger
11-25-2011, 07:32 PM
bed the barrel if your worried.