PDA

View Full Version : bullpup savage?

psharon97
11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I have been trying to decide what type of stock to get for my 223 savage 10flp for a while. I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert one of their rifles to bullpup, or where to go to get it done.

ellobo
11-17-2011, 09:58 PM
The type of stock depends on the intended use of the rifle. There are different stocks for differnet uses, like hunting, benchrest, varmint shooting etc. What are you going to use it for? Be careful how short you make your "bullpup" barrel. there are legal limits.

El Lobo

psharon97
11-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks, ellobo. This is pretty much what I want to do: http://www.bullpupgunstocks.com/

I really don't want to mess with the length of the barrel. The gun is and will always be my go to varmint/pest eradicator. I was under the assumption that the length of the rifle didn't matter as long as the rifle barrel was > 18".

LabRat2k3
11-18-2011, 05:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that a rifle has to be a minimum of 26" long in its firing configuration or it is an SBR. That is why on the site you linked to the SOCOM 16 in the bullpup stock with an AOL of 24" is listed as a class III item.

bsekf
11-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I understand the legal minimum for a rifle barrel is 16 inches and the overall must be 26. If the frame is registered as a pistol, you can have a pistol barrel any length. However, to hunt in New York State, a pistol must be 16 or under. Anything longer must be a rifle. :-\ Reguardless, check your local state laws to be sure. You may have to have a law degree to interpet them.

darkker
11-18-2011, 12:35 PM
psharon97,
There are a few issues here. The site referenced are for semi-autos, not bolt guns.
You should still be able to make a bullpup style stock for a bolt, however...
Your bolt has to come backwards to eject/reload. This makes for a very bad angle to operate the bolt, also removing the stock is required for bolt removal to clean. Also the receiver ports on a Savage(used to vent gases in the event of case failure) become problematic. Where and how you vent them become an issue. Also the potentially vented gasses are now under you, instead of in front of you. Something to think about.

psharon97
11-18-2011, 01:14 PM
I have seen bullpup bolt guns before, just wondering if it could be done on a savage platform safely.

libertyman777
11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Here's the DTA bolt action bullpup. This is the 16" barrel version.

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Desert_Tactical_Arms_DTA_Stealth_Recon_Scout_SRS_C overt_7.62mm_Bullpup_Sniper_Rifle_10.jpg

I would love to see someone come out with an aftermarket bullpup stock for a savage. It would be very cool

Paul

Cycler
11-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Except for their very short overall length, bullpups baffle me. Particularly in bolt guns they are very awkward to operate, the action is right beside your head in the event of a case rupture, ejection is right at your head so you have to move the rifle to chamber a new round and they are completely non-ambidextrous. A lefty can operate a conventional right handed bolt rifle with some reaching. No way can you operate a bullpup from the "wrong" side.

lordarpad
03-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Except for their very short overall length, bullpups baffle me. Particularly in bolt guns they are very awkward to operate, the action is right beside your head in the event of a case rupture, ejection is right at your head so you have to move the rifle to chamber a new round and they are completely non-ambidextrous. A lefty can operate a conventional right handed bolt rifle with some reaching. No way can you operate a bullpup from the "wrong" side.

Well, they are very manoeuvreable and have the balance far back. I'd like one and I'd like it based on a savage 12 LH SS action :) 270 WSM, 28" progressive twist barrel, MAE shroud silencer :) Anybody know a gunsmith who can do this?

geargrinder
03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Keep in mind where gasses are going to go in the event of a case rupture or pierced primer.

handirifle
03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
He's bound to build this thing but I would want no part of ever shooting one, even the semi auto's, primarily for the venting reasons. That hot gas will cut you like a razor. Not to mention your eyes and ears.

Good luck to the OP and I really hope it works exactly like you want.

geargrinder
03-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Gas issues can be dealt with. Just gotta pay attention.

Not a Savage, but an incredible bullpup.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lrkms-just-about-roll-out-shop-109723/