PDA

View Full Version : Savage/Stevens Plastic Stocks

DGD6MM
11-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I've never held a Stevens in a plastic stock, are they the same as a Savage? Thinking about a new rifle to build off of and where I may switch back into the plastic stock for hunting purposes. This may be for my wife and would like to keep the weight down for hunting. Thanks in advance.

Slowpoke Slim
11-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I only have one of each. A Stevens (I have a thread on that one going right now ;D ), and a lefty Savage 16 in SS (for my daughter). Of the 2 I have, there's a definite difference in the stocks. The Savage stock is truly better fit and finish. I had to trim a LOT of excess mold flashing off of my Stevens when I got it. I used an X-acto knife to trim the stock, lots of sharp flashings in the corners and along the mold lines. Plus the Savage stock doesn't flex near as much as the Stevens stock. That being said, I'm more than pleased by the performance of my Stevens, and would have bought one for my daughter if they made it in lefty.

BrentWin
11-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I think that the tupperware stock is plenty servicable as a hunting stock, as long as you don't use a bipod. The limber foreend will ofter touch the barrel with a bipod, afffecting accuracy.

pdog06
11-16-2009, 09:53 AM
The Stevens stock is the same as the Savage plastic stock except for the color, with the exception of the newer model 16's like Slim has. Seems the 16's are a little more rounded and some have no checkering. It is also drastically different than the newest Savages with the accustock.

DGD6MM
11-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info on the stock, now I need to check on up grading the trigger for as little cost as possible. My wife isn't used to a real lite trigger, normally 1.5-2.5 lbs. I'm looking at a choate tactical stock for her for target. I've got a brand new 6CM barrel to go on it for her. Thanks again for your well informed replies.

pdog06
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Look at the B&C Medalist. IMO it rides the bags better than a Choate.

As far as a trigger, it dont get much better than a SSS trigger for $100. You could put a 3screw factory trigger in it, but wont get the 1.5lb pull you are looking for.

You may be better off just buying a Savage accutrigger action since you want a different stock anyway, and already have a barrel. Then you'd have a 1.5lb pull, and if you dont like the blade just remove it.

BTW, I just happen to be getting ready to list a 12vlp action(w/accutrigger), and also a SSS HBR stock for that action. If interested send me a pm.