PDA

View Full Version : Which glue for laminate

Monkeymaster
11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi,
I have an older 110 in 270 winchester with a factory laminate stock. It is not shooting like it should, so I took out a dollar bill and felt around the barrel and the tang, had a few snags, so I took the action out of the stock and fired up my dremal. After cleaning up a few small areas, I looked at where the recoil lig sits and it was fine, however, I notice a crack in the laminate where the front action screw is, it is parallel with the stock, and goes about 1/2 the way down of its own thickness.
What type of glue would be best to drip into this crack ?
Also, can I expect this to last ?
It is a nice looking stock, and I would like to keep it .
Thanks

Balljoint
11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Any good water proof glue

ellobo
11-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I am surprised. It is pretty unheard of for a laminate stock to have a crack. Does it look like the crack is between one of the laminations? If it is a thin crack I doubt you will get enough glue in it to work well. I suggest you open the crack a bit as deep as you can with say an exacto blade and then fill it with epoxy of the slow curing type. If you could send a picture of the crack that would help figure it out. I have a factory laminate on my .35 Whelen and, like you, I like it. Lighter than many aftermarket laminates.
As far as accuracy dropping off I also suggest you check the barrel for copper and carbon buildup. Run a patch with copper remover in the barrel and see if it comes out blue in color. If it does it probably needs to be decoppered. Torque the reciever mounting screws to 35-45 inch lbs making sure the front screw doesnt protrude into the reciever and contact the bolt. Wood compresses so that may happen. Good luck with the stock.

El Lobo

sharpshooter
11-17-2011, 02:04 AM
If the crack is clean, meaning there is no oil soaked in it, super glue works the best. It has penetrating capabilities and will go to the bottom of the crack.
Typically if a laminated stock has a crack, it is usually the wood cracking, not the glue joint.

ellobo
11-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Superglue eh? Never heard of that application but it makes sense considering the properties of that material. Do as Sharpshooter says, I am sure you will be satisfied with the results.

El Lobo

rjtfroggy
11-17-2011, 07:45 AM
I have used the super glue method in the past and it has more than one function. When fixing a crack make sure you use a little pressure from a clamp or something with a soft surface on the stock to push together for better addhesion.
Super glue also works well to fill dings and scratches in the stock or on your fiberglass bows.

Handloader
11-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I feel that Gorrilla Glue works the best. Add water in the crack, shake it out, the use a syringe with gorrilla glue to put the glue into the crack. Apply a clamp, and wait an hour. Gorrilla glue will expand many times the original volume, and will clean up with a sharp knife.