PDA

View Full Version : .338 SIN Barrels / Info

TORCHRIDER
11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have any updates on the .338 SIN round that Sinman was working on? I was about ready to contact Devin and order a .338 RUM or .338 EDGE barrel but was told about the .338 SIN. It would be nice to have a .338 repeater on a Savage action without a bunch of mods. Was Sinman ever able to get a 300 SMK moving along at 2800 FPS with a round that will fit in the Savage LA magazine? Are the barrels, dies, brass etc. orderable from Sinman?

Thanks!

Senderofan
11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I would definately contact Sinman, Devin, and ask him about the 300's. I'm told this round was designed for slightly lighter bullets...say 225-250 gr. Here's a synopsis provided by LTLR from the long range hunting forum:

"338 SIN Testing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other thread was getting so long I thought I would start another and list my data as I shot it. Had a great shoot this morning with the 225 grain cutting edge bullet .640 bc. Best accuracy out of my 24" barrel seems to be between 3100-3150 fps. I had one hole 100 yard groups in this velocity range with four different powders. Magpro, Winchester WMR, IMR 4831 and RE-19. From my limited testing so far it seems this cartridge is going to be very easy to load for. About anything shoots well in it. When I got near 3200 fps the groups began to spread so I backed off and started fine tuning in the accuracy range.

So far the most accurate loads are 95.5 grains Magpro, 93 grains winchester wmr, 87 grains imr 4831 and 86 grains RE-19. 4831 and re-19 retained the best accuracy at the highest velocities around 3170 fps. I expected that the faster burn powders would turn out best in my short barrel. The beauty of this efficient design is that it does very well in short barrels with faster burning powder than most big magnums. By utilizing the faster powders excellent velocities and accuracy can be had with a short barrel. This allows short barrel light carry rifles that can achieve great accuracy since there is no fireball of turbulence when the bullet exits the barrel as experienced with the RUM and larger class 338's in short barrel versions.

My rifle weighs just over six pounds so I stopped testing the 300 SMK in it. I shot a few and it was brutal. Winchester WMR shot great with the 300 smk but I stopped at a little over 2700 fps because of the massive recoil. I could have gone well into the 2700's which I thought was very good considering the 24" tube. My 340 wby shoots the 300 SMK 2730 fps and my two 338-300 RUM's shoot 2830-2850 fps all with 28" barrels. Basically there is 120 fps difference on average between the 340 wby and 338-300 RUM. The 338 SIN powder capacity is exactly half way between these two so it figures to hit right in there. With a 28-30 inch barrel I think 2800 fps is possible with less powder than the RUM's plus fit on any standard magnum action without modifications. This with plenty of room to load the 300's out to the lands since the case is about the same length as a 338 winchester.

Because of recoil in my light rifle I am only going to test bullets 225 grains and lighter in this gun. When Devin first showed me the diagram of this cartridge I immediately thought it was the answer to a light carry rifle for long range at large big game. I saw the extremely efficient design and so far it has done everything I thought it would. A 225 grain bullet with a .640 bc at 3170 fps out of a 24" barrel that weighs just over six pounds is my answer to long range backpack style hunting. I am going to test some 185 and 200 grain bullets over the next couple days but I expect to end up with the high bc of the cutting edge bullet. I am going to load the 4831 and Re-19 loads now and stretch the range out some this evening. I seated the bullets like recommended by CE and have no reason to change that right now with one hole groups at 100 yards with these two loads. If the accuracy is good at long range and the bc tests out to be around .64 then I plan on trying this combination in Alaska in August.

I will report back in as I get more data. "

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/338-sin-testing-74174/

LTLR's gun is a very light, 6 1/4 lb, hunting rifle....so as he stated...the 300's were just too punishing for him. In email correspondence with LTLR....he felt the 225 Cutting Edge bullet was very optimum for this round. My rifle is being put together with a 28" tube and with a twist rate that I can comfortably use the new 285 gr. Hornady bullet...should I choose to do so....and probably the 300 as well.....but I think the CE bullets or the 285 gr. should be great plenty for me.

And as was stated....the SIN round was designed by Sinman such that it could be used in the long action magazines of the Savage.

Good Luck.....I would highly recommend writing are calling Devin.....he's a great guy to talk to...and he won't pressure you with any decisions.

Wayne

redie fredie
11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I am interested in this round also:
was there a recommended way of fire-forming the brass; what dies, tools, etc were needed?

Senderofan
11-16-2011, 10:13 PM
I am interested in this round also:
was there a recommended way of fire-forming the brass; what dies, tools, etc were needed?

You can buy "Hydro Formed brass" directly from Devin. I will be fireforming mine from new .330 Dakota brass that Devin buys in bulk.....Devin says even the fireforming loads are very accurate...so I figured I'd go this route. Also, Devin has the reamer to make a full length sizing die. I've got a micrometer bullet seater......bought it some time ago and can't find it now....but I'm pretty sure it's a .338 RUM.

I would highly recommend contacting Sinman / Sinarms ( Devin ) if you are even remotely considering this round. He is a really great guy to talk to...he can tell you all the pluses and minuses of any of the .338's out there. After I contacted him....my mind was made up regarding the .338 SIN.

Good Luck,

Wayne

geargrinder
11-17-2011, 12:01 AM
You can also use a RUM brass in a shortened 338 RUM FL die. That will push the shoulder back enough to trim and fireform.

Then you'd use the Sin dies for loading.

I did this with a bunch of 7mmRUM and 338RUM brass while I was waiting for my Sin barrel to show up.

Here's some comparisons. The Sin's are not fireformed, just sized and trimmed to length.

They are all aligned by the tip of the bullet.

Left to right

338 Edge- 3.800" - This is my normal Edge length,
338 Sin- 3.500" -This is what fits in my Savage Centerfeed DBM
300g SMK
338RUM- 3.680" - This is what fits in my factory Rem 700 LSS
338 Sin- 3.500" -This is what fits in my Savage Centerfeed DBM
225g NAB

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001758.jpg

clambdin
11-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Does anybody know what devin is charging for brass and dies ?

Senderofan
11-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Does anybody know what devin is charging for brass and dies ?

I haven't picked up my stuff yet so can't say specifically. I do know when I launched into the project...late June / early July....he quoted me a price on the brass and I searched all over the internet and couldn't find a better price ( I think he's just covering his cost on the brass.) I think price will also depend on how many pieces you buy. I went with 200....which is a specific unit for ordering.....and I think in bulk....you might get a very slightly better price. I want to say the hydroformed brass runs an extra 20 to 25 cents more per piece, which for all the work, is worth the little extra....this isn't a round that a guy is going to shoot 50 or a 100 rounds a day.

The custom die that he makes is really reasonable....again...price was unbelievable...I want to say it's less the $125.... using what ever manufacturer you want for the die blank.

I would really recommend writing Devin to get up to date pricing. With the way things swing price wise.....and my info. being six months old....I wouldn't want to quote my information as being rock solid. Always best to get current quotes.

Good Lcuk,

Wayne

clambdin
11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Has anybody thought about having Lee make a collet die for this round $65.00 I think...and then using a 300 RUM body die after several firings ?

geargrinder
11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
The Sin is shorter and the shoulder angle is different. The RUM die wouldn't work.

clambdin
11-22-2011, 01:26 PM
I spoke with devin last night and he tells me they are now using 330 Dakota brass and simply fireforming it for this round, but I seen on another forum that fireforming the 330 dakota brass still leaves the neck slightly short, I wonder if Deven will ream the neck to match the fireformed 330 dakota brass ? I know the bolt face will have to be opened up to match the Dakota case rim..