PDA

View Full Version : winter project: 270wsm build

03mossy
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I want to build a 270wsm for deer hunting. My goals are lightweight, short barrel, fast handling, all weather. I am going to start searching the used gun racks for a gun to start with. What would be my ideal starting point for this project?

rusty815
11-13-2011, 10:30 PM
get a short action wsm model, theres always a few 300wsm's somewhere, get one of those and make a barrel swap, then youre good to go. you can go with other short actions, but youd need a magnum bolt face and also to open up the lips on the magazine, best to keep it simple.

jwolf
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Also keep in mind, most wsm's are large shank actions and barrels. I bought a new16 Weather warrior 7 WSM 2 years ago for $450. It was blind mag and there was a Savage rep at the store that help me get a good price. I ordered a varmint size Shilen barrel and put it in a custom stock. Just 2 weeks ago I found a slightly used 16 W.W. in 325 WSM with a hinged mag for $499. I took the barrel off and installed the sporter 7mm barrel from the first gun on it. One thing to note. The first gun was a control round feed and the second was a push feed. The CRF is supposed to be better for fat cartriges. However my push feed works much better. I mentioned the large shank because used barrels will be easier to find. Good luck

03mossy
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys

bbradford71
11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Also keep in mind, most wsm's are large shank actions and barrels. I bought a new16 Weather warrior 7 WSM 2 years ago for $450. It was blind mag and there was a Savage rep at the store that help me get a good price. I ordered a varmint size Shilen barrel and put it in a custom stock. Just 2 weeks ago I found a slightly used 16 W.W. in 325 WSM with a hinged mag for $499. I took the barrel off and installed the sporter 7mm barrel from the first gun on it. One thing to note. The first gun was a control round feed and the second was a push feed. The CRF is supposed to be better for fat cartriges. However my push feed works much better. I mentioned the large shank because used barrels will be easier to find. Good luck

How do you like the 7 WSM, I have been thinking of doing 7WSM for my F-Class build?

Brent

micky_blue
11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I just bought a 270 WSM that I want to convert to 308. If you have any parts that we can swap I am open.

micky

When I get the gun, should be a day or so, I can post pics. PM me your email.

jwolf
11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
When i got the first one, I ordered a shilen select match & 500 new brass. I loaded up 10 rds 162 Amax & 63.5gr H4831sc. I shot the sporter barrel on a winding day not trying for groups, but checking f.p.s. The loads were sticky with slight primer flatting so I only fired 6. The speed was nearly 3000 fps but the interesting thing was the extreme spread for those 6 rds was 11 fps. I restocked the gun and installed the Shilen but have only fired 35 rds at a lower charge. I just got a 10X50 SIII sightron to put on it so I'll start ringing it out. The second gun I just bought was 325 wsm which I change to 7mm using the first sporter barrel. I got it to deer hunt with and did not want to mix brass with 2 guns so I bought 2 boxes of Fed Prem Vital Shok with 160 Nos Partion. I stuck a 6.5 X 20 Leup on it and it will shoot 3 shot .75 groups bone stock with 4 lb + trigger. The problem with the 7mm I think will be brass quality. The Win brass is not quality brass. I'll be interested to see how the Fed brass checks out after I fire it. I wish Lapua would make some brass for it. I think the cartridge has a lot of promise.

MaDa
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a bit of once fired empties from my .270wsm if your interested in reloading. Most are brass some are nickel. All are winchester. I don't reload and don't plan on it but keep all my empties. Pm me or email me if interested.

zap
11-20-2011, 08:46 PM
03 mossy.
I am going to be taking my 300 wsm apart soon. Action and barrel will be for sale. This action is blued and has the hinged floor plate.
If you have any interest pm or email me at lewecode@verizon.net.

Lee

03mossy
11-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Can I build a 270wsm from any action or does it have to be one that accepts large shank barrels? I guess my question is do the after market barrel makers do WSM barrels in small shank as well?

bootsmcguire
11-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Can I build a 270wsm from any action or does it have to be one that accepts large shank barrels? I guess my question is do the after market barrel makers do WSM barrels in small shank as well?

Some will and some won't. There is nothing wrong with a WSM on a small shank. I know Sinarms will do one for you. If you find a good deal on a large shank, you can always have it turned down to a small shank too.

03mossy
12-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I have been checking different gun shops when i am out and about. no luck on anything under $500. i had a couple deals fall through but Tonight I found it! A model 10FXP 7mmRSUM, doesn't even look like it has ever been shot! for $250! While I was filling out the paper work i got an email from UPS that my action wrench and go/no go gauges were just delivered!

MaDa
12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
sweet deal you'll be putting to use those cases in no time now. were you able to get all of them cleaned up?

all you need now is a barrel right?

03mossy
12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
sweet deal you'll be putting to use those cases in no time now. were you able to get all of them cleaned up?

all you need now is a barrel right?

Yeah they all cleaned up great! I know it doesn't necessarily help with accuracy but im a sucker for shiny brass.

And yes the barrel is next... I got a few options from members here, I just have to pick the one I want.