PDA

View Full Version : can someone please draw a (even crude) diagram of the following?

tvtv
11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
On the model 12, I will first ensure that the recoil lug is seated securely against the stock by just lightly tightening up the front receiver screw then gently but firmly bumping the butt pad against the floor. Next I will tighten up the front two receiver screws to 30 inch-pounds starting at 20 inch-pounds and working up to the 30 inch-pounds in 5 inch-pound increments, and always tightening the front screw first and then the second screw. Once the front two receiver screws are torqued to the final torque setting, I will set the rear receiver screw to 5 inch-pounds and shoot a 5-shot group [to evaluate accuracy].

Also, has anyone attempted leaving the middle screw off? Thanks

bsekf
11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
This is not an exact answer to your question but has to do with the action screws and their tightness. LA/SSS trigger in a B&C Carblite stock (no pillars). I installed a front pillar and bedded the action and recoil lug with JB Weld. I tighten the front action screw very tight, it is metal to metal so I do not think the actual torque is all that important, just real tight. The back screw area is bedded with JB Weld. If I tighten the back screw too much the sear will not inguage. Loosen it 1/8 -1/4 turn and every thing works fine......however the tightness of the rear screw is critical to accuracy. The tang is floated. I believe I am crushing the stock at the rear screw and that is torquing the action out of shape.

My conclusion: You must use pillers both front and rear and make very sure you have a metal to metal fit and have not torqued the action out of shape. I still do not believe it is necessary to use a torque wrench....just real tight. If accuracy falls off the first thing I check is the screw tightness. I bed the lug very tight and have never used your method of making sure it is seated.......that is not a bad idea.

Bill

ellobo
11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
He mentioned three screws. Isnt that a taget action or is he mistaking the wood screw on the trigge guard as an action screw? I am so confused ???

El Lobo

bsekf
11-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I understood it was a regular 2 screw action, if not , my remarks are moot.

Bill