PDA

View Full Version : Stevens M200 conversion to .35 REM

Pages : 1 [2]

Jericho
11-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I always thought that the 25Rem, 30Rem, 32Rem, and 35Rem were from the same case also.

Eric in NC
11-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Nope the 35 is larger in diameter - completely different from the others which are rimless versions of the Winchester cartridges (25-35, 30-30 and 32 special).

defoxer
11-17-2011, 08:44 PM
The bolt head 35Rem is halfway between the 7.62x39 and the 308Win/30-06 size, if you want the 35cal go for the Whelan which is hotter than the Rem and uses std bolt (but long action)

stangfish
11-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Jericho,

Find the right bolthead and have it machined to fit(Savages are oversized to allow for misalignment), Modify an extractor to fit if you have too and buy an E.R. Shaw Barrel for 160 from Lance at the Gun Shack. When your done write us a great article like the one on the 336 conversion.
If you need any machinist help or advice put it on hear and one of us metalheads will help out.

hcpyro13
11-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Probably my favorite all time cartridge, let us know how you do. I might not be too far behind as I've pondered this idea more than once!

-Jake

DGNY
11-19-2011, 09:13 PM
It certainly sounds tempting. Yet, here is an article with info that would indicate not-so-good-an-idea, due to max pressure differential between .35 Rem and .358 Win. Could someone do this conversion and survive - probably - with luck...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/35rem_358win.htm

Mind you, I have not done original research on this, but would certainly decline such a conversion if offered to me.

Regards,

Dyson

MrMajestic
11-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Mind you, I have not done original research on this, but would certainly decline such a conversion if offered to me.

I agree as there are fine lever guns out there that do handle it, i.e. M88-BLR-Sako Finn?

Eric in NC
11-19-2011, 10:06 PM

I agree as there are fine lever guns out there that do handle it, i.e. M88-BLR-Sako Finn?

Don't know of a Sako lever gun in 358 but Savage made some fine 99s in 358 if you want to step up from the 35 Rem.

However - if you are hunting inside of 200 yards, the 35 Rem will drop any whitetail sized animal with authority.

ellobo
11-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Keep in mind that the story told in that magazine article is fiction, the imagination of the writer. Sounds pretty gory but the damage he described is highly unlikely even if there is a blowup. Note that the Marlin rep did not indicate if he knew what pressures that barrel and action would handle. I am not saying he is incorrect but the supposed danger has not been proven. The conversion to the .356 rimmed cartridge has been done for years by many gunsmiths to model 336's and I have never read or heard of a rifle blowing up. I personaly would not do the conversion but by the same token I have not yet heard any substantive proof that it would be dangerous in the Marlin. 2 other lever actions have been chambered in .358, the Winchester model 88 and the Savage 99. In looking at my model 88 and my son-in-laws 336 it lookd to me like the breech end of the barrels are nearly the same in dia. Having had the 88 apart it looks to me like the lockup isnt stronger than the Marlin. The savage 99 has the strongest lockup of the three lever guns. What pressures are devleoped in some of the new Marlin cartridges they chamber for?

El Lobo

handirifle
11-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Boy did this thread go off course or what? The OP was asking about a conversion to 35 Rem, period. Not wondering if something more powerful or a better suited gun for it. Sorry to sound harsh here, but I read a lot of negative for something that should be pretty simple.

The 35 rem is a good cartridge, and depending on the ranges it will be shot at, is as good as the 358 or the Whelen for it's purpose. A deer or black bear or hog, shot at 150yds or less will not know the difference what cartridge it came from.

For Jericho, it is hard to imagine this swap costing any where near $600 if you already own the rifle. The barrel would have to come from someone that could chamber it for you since the 35 is not popular in bolt rifles, but that is not super expensive. The barrel will most likely the most expensive part of this conversion. The rest is standard, head space gauges, reloading dies, brass, etc.

Some guys rebarrel to the 6.8 SPC, just because that's what they want, not because it's the most powerful one in that caliber. Bigger isn't always better. For me personally, there is no way I would want a 35 Whelen for deer hunting. it will do nothing, to a deer, that the 308 or 30-06 will not do as well or better, and possibly be more accurate in the process. The 35 caliber has never been a top choice for accuracy or long range ballistics.

Now if I wanted a combo BIG bear, elk, moose cartridge, that also served as a deer gun, then the 35 Whelen would be hard to beat.

Jericho, my point is, if you want a 35 Rem, then build one. Tell us how it works out. I had one in a Marlin, and was not impressed with the accuracy, so I sold it. My Marlin 1895 in 45-70 will place three in a clover leaf, all day long, and that is hard to beat.

The savage ought to do better, with way better control of headspace better case/ bore alignment.

Jericho
11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Actually got a PM from a member on another website that has done the 35 Rem conversion on a Savage Model
10 short action. Said it worked okay, some minor feeding issues, but it was corrected.