PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 22-250 to 308

dirtfarmer
11-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I picked up a model 12 22-250 with a accu-trigger a while back and have decided to "upgrade"it. I would like to change it to 308 but don't know what all needs to be changed - replaced? I plan on a bull barrel and a new stock. I'm new to long range shooting and would like some advise on what to do. This site has provided a ton of info and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. Thanks in advance for any info and advise.

keeki
11-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I pretty sure just the barrel. same bolthead

dirtfarmer
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Thank you. After closer inspection, it looks like this rifle is a worked on piece to start with. Inside, where the shells go into the chamber, it looks to me like there is a lot of room. I don't know if this means anything or not, it just looks odd to me. The magazine and follower seem awful long to me but I'm still learning.

squirrelsniper
11-14-2011, 01:36 AM
If it is a centerfeed with detachable mag, you'll need a new mag or you'll have to work on the old one. The 22-250 has it's own mag design in the new rifles.

If it's an older stagger feed, they use the same mag box but the feed lips might require minor work for best feeding.

As for the mag and follower looking long, the older Savage short action rifles (except the 223) do have a bit more magazine space than something like a Remington short action. It's nice for handloaders using VLD bullets.