PDA

View Full Version : Mueller 8.5 - 25 - Anyone own one?

Captk
11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Still looking for a scope for my new to me Savage 12 SS in 308. It came with SS mounts and rings (1") and would like a scope to match it (color) in my budget. The Mueller 8.5 - 25 seems to fill the bill. I was also looking at the Bushnell 6 - 18 Trophy scope but it only comes in matte and is not available in silver.
Opinions please or other options.
Thanks, Ken

rjtfroggy
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a Mueller 8.5-25 On a 223 and in all honesty I would buy another. Mine holds zero time after time.
Only complaint is the ill. dot looks like a scribble line at high power but I never use it so it does not matter that much(actually removed battery).
Silver finish is just a cheap spray paint they use.

birdie
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I have both the eradicator and the tacktical.. I like the eradicaator much better than the tactical.

Onceinawhile
11-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I have one now on a 260. I will probably buy another to put back on my 223.

teebirdhyzer
11-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Don't have the model you metion, but just received and mounted a 8-32 x 44 target dot model on a .243 I am building. I got it on sale for $ 229 and am very suprised so far at the glass. Even maxed out at 32x, it is still very clear and sharp. I have not tested it for tracking, etc. but it gets great reviews, so I don't expect any issues. I have a Busnell Banner 6-24 x 40 that I bought for My .17hmr last year, and the Mueller completely blows it away! I would buy the Mueller over the Buhnell in similar price and specs.

Captk
11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks all, I just placed my order. I hope to try it out soon weather permitting.

Ken

GaCop
11-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a Mueller 8.5-25 On a 223 and in all honesty I would buy another. Mine holds zero time after time.

Only complaint is the ill. dot looks like a scribble line at high power but I never use it so it does not matter that much(actually removed battery).
Silver finish is just a cheap spray paint they use.

+1 for Mueller, I have one on my 223 AI.

shaman
11-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I have the old 8.5-25, and i haven't used it. heard good things about it when I bought tit. THinking about selling or trading it.

ourway77
12-10-2011, 10:01 AM
shaman Here is a quote from your post (THinking about selling or trading it.)Why are you selling the scope? If so how much? I have two one silver and one black One on a 243 and the other on a 7MM Magnum and both perform flawlesly and thier guarantee is second to none. For an inexpensive scope they can't be beat. Alot of scope makers have new technology that puts them in line with your more expensive scopes as they can make them better than they use to be and alot cheaper. I have numerous high dollar scopes Leupold, Burris, sightron, etc Mueller gets my vote. Lou

Txhillbilly
12-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I have 2 of the Eradicator scopes.They are a decent scope for target shooting,but have too much magnification for most hunting duties.
They are pretty clear up to 20x,after that the edges get a little blurry.I put the first one on my 300WM for a while just to see if the recoil would bust it,and it never had a problem.Both scopes are on 223's,a Savage 12 and a RRA 20" Varminter.They worked pretty good on my last prairie dog hunt.

TheSocialRegressive
12-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I have an 8.5-25x44 Mil Dot scope mounted on my 12FV for prairie dog hunting. I leave it at 25X 100% of the time, and it does very well. I can adjust the elevation and windage knobs without fear of losing zero on the way back, and both adjustments track perfectly and precisely. The clicks don't skip, so if you're going by feel or sound it's hard to mess up; if you adjust visually the micrometer readings are clear. The reticle is (for me) a nice balance of "fine enough that I can still see my quarry" and "thick enough that I don't lose the reticle."

It isn't perfect - images aren't very sharp at 25X. The scope also gets dark pretty quickly at dusk. The adjustable objective requires a fair amount of torque to adjust. The elevation knob I originally got was poorly drilled, too, but Mueller sent me new one when I emailed them about the problem.

Someday, when I can scrape together the cash, I'll replace it with a clearer scope, like a Bushnell 6500. For now, though, I'm quite pleased with my setup. I dropped my rifle, scope down, onto rocks one time and all that happened was I lost my zero. Once I regained it I had no problems.

shaman
12-19-2011, 05:58 AM
shaman Here is a quote from your post (THinking about selling or trading it.)Why are you selling the scope? If so how much? I have two one silver and one black One on a 243 and the other on a 7MM Magnum and both perform flawlesly and thier guarantee is second to none. For an inexpensive scope they can't be beat. Alot of scope makers have new technology that puts them in line with your more expensive scopes as they can make them better than they use to be and alot cheaper. I have numerous high dollar scopes Leupold, Burris, sightron, etc Mueller gets my vote. Lou

Ourway, I wasn't ignoring you, i just got in to the US, and wanted to make sure that I still had it and the sunshade. I don't know how much shipping will cost. Lemme get that figured out and I will let you know on price. Why am I selling it? I just never found a place for it, simple as that. Wanted a 10/22 ultimate, and read good things about the scope, so I bought it. The ultimate idea was kinda given up on, and just don't have any gun to put it on.

Rod B
12-20-2011, 11:48 PM
I bought an Eraticator 6.5 x25 a few years back, it is on a custom target Ruger 10/22. I find it as good as my Weaver V24. The only thing I can fault is the eye relief is very limited but for shooting from the bench it works very well for me.

riverat
02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
i to have 3 mueller scopes,2 eradicators,1 tactical and love them as much as my nikon,leupold,sightrons

Jeff

Roger the Shrubber
02-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Have one and love it. One of the best values in rifle optics today.

Bold Lion
02-13-2012, 02:22 AM
My experiences echo everyone elses within this thread.

I have two - the one OP is talking about as well as the 8-32x44 target model. Both scopes are very clear even up to the max magnification...the only thing I've experienced is a little bit of a parallax issue but that could very well be operator error!

I'm buying another 8-32x44 for my new build. I like Weaver T36s for benchrest but these Mueller's are about all I have on my varmint rifles.

Good luck!

papd1140
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
The Mueller scope was the first I bought for my Savage 308 and my son bought one also for his Savage 308. Neither of us have them mounted to our rifles anymore. It seems that we had problems with the scopes and returned them for a replacement......with negative results. So, my son went and bought a Leupold and I bought a Nikon Monarch. So, now we are both happy with our choices. My Mueller sits in my closet. anybody care to buy it?