PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 Utah LE elk

Pages : 1 [2]

handirifle
01-27-2012, 02:52 AM
I asked and he said mainly areas 578, 579, and 580, Mt Dutton area.

MWalker
01-30-2012, 02:01 PM
I have never hunted Mt Dutton but know a few that have. Heard it has limited access. I usually hunt the Boulder or Fishlake units. Both have been hunted hard the last few years. Both u it's have been shut down from time to time. Any good public land to hunt pigs in your area?

handirifle
01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
I have never hunted Mt Dutton but know a few that have. Heard it has limited access. I usually hunt the Boulder or Fishlake units. Both have been hunted hard the last few years. Both u it's have been shut down from time to time. Any good public land to hunt pigs in your area?

According to Fish and Game here, less than 1% of the pigs are taken on public land. The pigs like the cooler temps west of the mountains, and that is also where their favorite food, the acorns, happens to grow. There aren't many trees on public land here, at least land that isn't a park, and where there are trees, many are not oaks. On top of that, the going rip off rate, around here for pigs is $500-600 per.

MWalker
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Isn't it crazy that they want that much money for a pig? They say that they are a nuisance yet nobody will let you hunt them unless you are willing to pay good money.

handirifle
01-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Isn't it crazy that they want that much money for a pig? They say that they are a nuisance yet nobody will let you hunt them unless you are willing to pay good money.

It's not crazy, it's called GREED, pure and simple. I figure if we stay off their lands and don't pay these ridiculous rates, eventually the pigs WILL be a nuisance, enough so that they will offer hunting them for a reasonable fee. MOST I have researched on the net, were guided hunts, and possibly a big portion of this is a guide fee, don't know. Maybe they could offer unguided hunts, but I doubt it. I'm sure the guide wants his hand in the till.