PDA

View Full Version : New Take on a Switch Barrel Rifle

Pages : 1 [2]

Hammer
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Come on guys, is it that hard to remove the stock and scope to change a barrel?

Taking off a stock and a scope between each shot on top of swapping the barrel is a pain.

Out of laziness, I have been known to shoot two consecutive shots with the same barrel, but don't let that rumor get spread too far.

I know one fellow who shoots trap without changing chokes between the first shot and second shot on Doubles.

There are rumors that Elmer Keith did not even take off his 44 Magnum to go to bed. Too much effort to put it back on in the morning.

Know one couple that after their divorce continued living together because it was just too much work for one of them to move out.

Let's not under-estimate the energy savings of leaving the stock and scope on when changing barrels -- Al Gore will appreciate the impact on the world's carbon footprint.

bsekf
11-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Hammer, Entirely too much time on your hands. ;D

Gunsmith friend once told me he would not put an adjustable comb on my trap gun because I would be adjusting it between stations! Never though about adjusting it between shots on doubles. :-\

Great discussion. Seems like a quick painless way to swap barrels, however, when you consider thread slop and wear, I see the point. The thought of not having a "jam nut fit" entered my mind too. You would have to change scope settings too, no way 2 different barrels are going to shoot to the same POI.

I have a very nice 116 Savage action that Fred T&T'd, it seems to shoot better than my 2nd action , a Stevens. I use it in two different applications, a 6mm Rem AI with a short fat barrel that shoots one hole groups and a 7-08 sporter for deer. Two dedicated stocks, two different scopes and by pinning a barrel nut on the 7-08 this sounded like an easy way to swap barrels....fast. I use the 6mm in turkey shoots and the 7-08 for deer a day later. Gonna buy an extra barrel nut and try it. ::)

Bill

mytwo60
11-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I never have to remove my scope. A modfied wrench works great!