PDA

View Full Version : Which model 10 for my wife

COhunter
11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
My wife decided she want's a new predator/varmint rifle. Had her heart set on a model 7 predator from remington, but she shot my model 10 predator max 1 and liked it. Then she cruised savages on-line catalog and saw the model 10 precision carbine and really like's it, so here lies her dilema. Do any of you guy's have a precision carbine? If so what do you think of it, and would you get one for your wife or girlfriend. She like's it better because of the physical weight, my wife if pretty petite so that come's into play. Lastly she want's it in 223, so any input would be greatly apprieciated

bootsmcguire
11-12-2011, 05:03 PM
the 10PC is as good as any other Savage in 223. The ones I have handled seem to be pretty well balanced. I see that the Savage site lists the 10PC at 7lbs and the Max-1 at 8.25lbs, but I can't see that the 2" barrel difference would be that much. Either one would be a decent choice. Both should be equally accurate.

Something else to look at might be a Model 25 Walking Varminter which is listed at 6.9lbs. The Model 25s I have handled in the past have always felt nice, and are similar in feel to the Model 40 (now discontinued) which I have chambered in 22 K-Hornet, and mine feels great and is easy to pack around and has a good balance.

Just some things too look at.

txbdyguard
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
had a 10 predator max in 260 and a 10 precision carbine in 308 both very easy on recoil. they are a lil heavier but hunting out of a box stand its a mute point.

MrMajestic
12-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Purchasing a rifle for your wife! I have one thing to say, Will you marry me? :-*

janizary
12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Savage site lists the 10PC at 7lbs and the Max-1 at 8.25lbs, but I can't see that the 2" barrel difference would be that much.

Savage's listing for the weight of the 10PC is incorrect. I have both the .223 and .308 versions of the 10PC and they both weigh over 8# dry. There was an article somewhere about this weight discrepancy as well. Can't remember the site though.

I enjoy both of my 10PCs. Accuracy out to 400-500 is just peachy, though I can't speak to any futher than that. Both are, as should be expected, very BBL heavy. My wife cannot shoulder the 10PC as is, but neither is she particularly strong. Handling on a bi-pod, rest, etc. is quite quick, however.

The biggest 'con' is the accustock. In this case I am not referring to accuracy (which has been quite acceptable), but putting things back together after breaking down the gun. I feel like the proverbial monkey/football when fiddling with that damn wedge thing. I loath it so much, I am re-stocking one of the rifles just to be done with it.

handirifle
12-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Purchasing a rifle for your wife! I have one thing to say, Will you marry me? :-*

I HOPE the Mr. in your name will cause him to say no! ;)