PDA

View Full Version : model 11 .308 into model 14 stock

bassandgrass
11-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Hello all,
Thought it was time to try my hand at some basic gunsmithing lol. Recently picked up an american classic 14 stock from a 22-250 with dbm. I was hoping to drop my .308 action into the stock but it seems there are some clearance issues. Should i just start cutting away at the wood or is this not going to work? thanks for any assistance in this matter.

bassandgrass
11-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Well I didn't realize that savage changed the bolt release. So after a little dremeling I was able to drop the .308 right in. Little clear varnish finished up the job. Sure looks prettier than the old tupperware stock she wore before. Now to take her out and shoot her.

bootsmcguire
11-13-2011, 02:30 AM
glad you got it together. Yeah there are several versions of Savage Short Actions. The Stagger-feed with 4.27" bolt spacing, the Center-feed with the 4.40" bolt spacing, and then the Center-feed with the newer bolt release on the bottom. Sounds like you got if figured out, let us know how she does.

teebirdhyzer
11-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I had to do the same thing last year on my .270 build. i got a 114 "euro" classic stock from Numrich, and attempted to mate it to my standard 110 action. Like you, i discovered that the stock was designed for the bottom bolt release, so the dremel became my friend. I have been using it for a year or so now and it works beautifully. Good luck with yours!