PDA

View Full Version : Truing a Savage Action

CAPTBEACH
11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I just scored a disassembled 1st Gen Savage 110FP safe queen in .308, LA, 24" FP barrel, EGW 20MOA one pc scope mount and an SSS Competition SS Recoil Lug for an exceptional price, also scored an SSS Competition trigger at a steal too...Action is tentatively going into a Choate LA Tactical, not the older Dragunov style but a true tactical style drop grip stock. I'll be glass bedding the action AFTER it gets back from CDI getting bottom metal and inleting.

I say all that to set up my subject lie question...lets talk about the merits and procedure/process of truing the front of the Savage action.

Benefit? Real or perceived?

Cost?

How much metal are we talking about having removed?

And any other thing you can think of...

I'm going to be running the .308 barrel for a while simply because I have it but eventually its going to get a high end heavy barrel in 30-06.

Capt Beach

ellobo
11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
As far as I know trueing the action is simply removing as little metal as possible so the face of the reciever is square to the bore of the reciever. Trueing and timing is a whole different ballgame as done by Fred Moreo at SSS. He trues the reciever and recuts the lead in ramps for the bolt lugs as well as fixing the timing of the bolt for better primary extraction and smoother operation. If you are a serious shooter that is the way to go. There is a long wait for that work so get it done while snow flies so it will be ready when the snow melts. No positive feedback that it improves accuracy, but it does make a much smoother operating rifle. There is a long slit of people on this forum that have had it done and I have never seen a post saying anything derogatory about his work. Mostly praise.

El Lobo

Senderofan
11-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I've had two of three faces trued....going to have the third done this winter. It's a matter of removing a couple of thousandths of material.....a whole lot easier than the Remington's I've paid to have trued. Guess that's a testament to how well the floating bolt head works in practice. As was mentioned...the whole timing deal is a different animal.

Whether it's worth the time and $$$......well, I guess it's a personal thing. Guess some of us have our superstitions ;D.

Good Luck,

Wayne