PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the range***Updates***

dolomite_supafly
11-14-2009, 10:12 AM
We are going to shoot my 223 as well as my wife's 45 ACP Savage. Her rifle has a ghost ring rear and TechSites on the front. With hers we are probably going to shoot at 50 yards while I will be trying mine at 100.

I loaded 200 rounds for her using 230 gr HP's with HS-6. I loaded these to factory levels. I also loaded 20 rounds with 300 gr JSP's to higher levels. I did find out the Longshot is a much cleaner powder in this setup. After every shot with HS-6 there is a ton of crud in the barrel but with the Longshot it is virtually spotless so from now on I am using Longshot for pistol calibers.

My 223 is shooting 69 gr SMK's. I am getting a base line before I do some accurizing to the rifle. It generally shoots in the .5" range with the SMK's. After today I am going to start neck sizing, uniforming the cases and doing all the tricks I can find to the brass to make it mroe accurate.

I'll update as things progess.

Dolomite

dolomite_supafly
11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
My wife shot her 45 ACP rifle about 100 times. She was able to hold it to about 2" at 50 yards and about 5" at 100 yards. Drop was crazy, expecially at 100 yards where it was about 10" for the 230gr loads and probably 18" for the 300gr loads. She is a great shot and considering this was with open sights with a 17" sight radius I think she did pretty good.

My 223 shot right at 1/2MOA which isn't anything out of the ordinary with the 69gr SMK's in this rifle. It did shoot a few .3's but most were 1/2" at 100 yards. Now that I have got a base line I am going to bed the rifle.

Dolomite

dcloco
11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Several of my Savage's and the AR 15's like H4895 at 3K fps for the best groups. The Savage's are 26" barrels (3K fps) and the AR's are 20" (not chronographed) & 24" (29xx fps).

dolomite_supafly
11-16-2009, 06:03 AM
I went threw the brass I fired yesterday uniforming them all. Neck sized them rather than FL like I normally do. I will probably sort everything by weight. I am just trying a few things before I actually get into the mechanics of the gun.

Varget has always done well for me, that is what I used when I shot the .3's. That was with unsorted, FL sized brass that I didn't pay much attentino too. As long as the brass was under the maximum I didn't do anything to the brass so I could have had brass that was wildly different lengths. I do sort my brass by brand but that was about the only consistency I had.

The gun isn't a match gun and wasn't built to be one. It was a test bed for a few ideas I had that I decided to keep the way it was after I was done. I do not hunt so I mostly puch paper. Because of a recent helicopter accident I can't shoot in any tactical matches and I really can't compete in BR with any of the setups I have right now. Because of the accident I am kind of recoil sensitive so everything I shoot now is on the lower end of the spectrum.

I would love to find a range with steel to shoot rather than paper. I have found a 550 yard range but as it is right now he doesn't have any steel. I am scrounging some scrap up, when I get enough I'll weld up some targets and give them to the guy who owns the range. Ideally I would like to have steel at 50 yard increments then some steel at odd distances for people to practice ranging. He doesn't charge anything for using the range, most of the money comes from selling ammo to people who come out there.

I will try to document everything I do then start a thread detailing it all.

Sorry for being so long winded but there is a method to my madness.

Dolomite