PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Looking for some suggestions

pwrbomb1970
11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
??? I am in the market for a couple of .22's. One for my 9 year old son and one for myself. They will be used for some target shooting/plinking but for sure squirrel/varmits here in NW Ohio. Have been a shotgun owner for the most part, so rimfire and centerfire are new to me. I am better off at the centerfire end. I was given a Browning BL-22 Grade I lever for Christmas and have shot it some. Now here is where I could use some help. What suggestions could you guys give me on getting a different .22? I like thumbhole stocks myself, son likes just about anything. 22lr or 22WMR? Should I go with a heavy barrel? Bolt or auto? What modifications should I do to any one I get to make it as accurate as I can...oh yea and all this I have to do on a budget of say $500.00. Help a fellow out?!?!?! I am pretty sure that I am going the Savage route..like the CZ-455 American Combo but that is outta $$ range I think.

bbradford71
11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I got my first gun (22 long) when I was 10 and it was a Rugar, which I still ahve, and I could hit anything that I aimed at with it open sights. I have probable killed 300 Squirrels over the past 30 years with it and who knows how many coons and foxes. Good quality semi auto 22 long rifle, very affordable and a lifetime of fun.

Brent

JCalhoun
11-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Get yourself the Savage Mark II thumbhole and get your son a Henry lever action or a Marlin Model 60.

pwrbomb1970
11-10-2011, 07:32 PM
was looking at that Mk II Thumbhole. Sure like the looks of that. handled one at Gander Mtn. feels good. would there be anything i would or recommended to do to it after market wise?

Handloader
11-11-2011, 07:29 PM
was looking at that Mk II Thumbhole. Sure like the looks of that. handled one at Gander Mtn. feels good. would there be anything i would or recommended to do to it after market wise?

Don't buy at Gander......check out other places for a MUCH better price. I have found the Gander in Huber Heights can be as much as $100.00 more than other local stores.........

GotCox
11-11-2011, 08:46 PM
If your looking at $500 total for guns, scopes, extra's your gonna have to give up that thumb hole stock or find used rifles. The Savage MarkII BTV is a great gun and has the stock you want, but it retails for $400.
Add a Savage 64F for around $120 at walmart or bimart.
Now depending on your taste in scopes or extra's you could have it all done for $520-$600.

squirrelsniper
11-12-2011, 03:33 AM
would there be anything i would or recommended to do to it after market wise?

About the only thing that could really be considered an upgrade would be to add D.I.P. bottom metal. The standard bottom metal is about like sheet metal in the magazine area and can easily deform when tightening the action screws.

Of course then you just choose rings and scope, and maybe a Picatinny rail base.

Other than that, just check the stock to make sure it isn't contacting the barrel, set the AccuTrigger where you want it and then try a few types of ammo to see what shoots best.