PDA

View Full Version : Straight walled cartridge help

spook1
11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Somne of the post about a 460 S&W has really got me thinking. There is a big push that looks pretty good for Ohio allowing any cartridge allowed in handguns currently, to be used in rifles next year for deer season. I have been researching and researching to try and find the perfect round to build. The current handgun regs are anything .357 diameter or larger, and a straight walled case. Basically, the 357, 44, 444, 45/70, 460 S&W, etc.

I am looking to build something, as a repeater bolt action, that meets this criteria. I live in the southern part of the state and shots out to 300 yards are possible. I am looking for something that offers pretty high velocity and flat range. This is for deer only, so I don't think the likes of 458 would be necessary. I was wondering if anyone knew of any wildcats or anything else that would work as a repeater that is straight walled and shoots pretty flat. I don't really want to go with the Ruger 44 and 357 bolt guns. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. The 50 B&M Super short looks like it would fit this criteria. I would like to do a 460 S&W for the velocity, etc. but it doesn't seem like it could work as a reliable bolt action.

Eric in NC
11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
People have built 375 Winchester guns on Reminton 788s that started life as 30-30s. I have one in 38-55 (basically same case just loaded to lower pressures).

Lots of guns out there that can be converted to feed rimmed cases - P14 Enfields are easy and can handle high pressure rounds, Siamese Mausers are easy to convert to 45-70, etc.

Not much hope on a Savage (other than the 340 in 30-30 but I wouldn't put a bunch of money in one of those).

None of the rounds really have a "flat trajectory" out to 300 yards. Just get a mil dot scope, and learn your load. With just a bit of practice it is easy to make hits out to 600 yards with my black powder cartridge rifles (40-70, 45-70, 50-70 etc.) and aperture sights - just have to learn to judge the range and know your "come up".

Single shots would certainly be easier (Ruger makes the No. 1 in 460S&W and 480 Ruger now - if they made it in 500 S&W one would be in my safe tomorrow!).

Werewolf
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
One of the main problems I would like to bring up is that most of the revolver cartridges are rimmed. That is the reason you don't see many of them chambered in bolt guns because the rims don't feed through mags very well. This is why you see them chambered in lever guns, they are made to feed rimmed rounds. As far as ballistics go, I think 300 yards is optimistic for most pistol rounds even from a rifle, but maybe someone who has actually done it will speak up. 45/70 or 444 perhaps, but again these are usually chambered in levers or single shots for a reason.

I got beat on the post button, told you someone who knew more would show up ;)

snowgetter1
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Spook,
I have been down this road with attempting to comply with Illinois law. I don't know iif Ohio has any restrictions on bottlenecks like the 300 whisper or I have a 30 Bellm. Both of these do not exceed a case length of 1.4" conforming with the law. Staight walled most pratical choice would be the 450 Marlin. Depending on $$$ you can do anything you want SSK industries has some good info. My Striker in 30 Bellm puts a 125 BT at 2620fps and I am comfortable to 250 yards. Next friday will be its first test on deer.

spook1
11-12-2011, 03:13 PM
From what i have heard, there is no allowance for any bottleneck cases, regardless of length. It will strictly be straight walled cases. I was hoping sin man or someone may know of a wildcat that would fit the bill.

bootsmcguire
11-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I know you said no 458WM but I would consider it. It has the simplicity of a standard caliber rather than a wildcat. And it seems to be flexible with how you load it. I have been loading mine with 325 FTX bullets from Hornady over RL7 and honestly I have shot 45-70's that kicked more. You can get the 458WM kit by ER Shaw at midway or brownells for a couple hundred bucks and get gauges and an extra wrench.

You could also do a 458x1.5 I think it is called. It's just a shortened 458WM.

I have also been kicking around ideas of a 44 caliber wildcat. Was basically thinking of a 44 Auto-Mag "Magnum". Since the 44-AM is basically a shortened 308 thats necked up to 44 and then had the neck inside reamed to accept a .430 bullet. I was thinking of doing the same but not cutting off the 308 but leaving it full length. Basically making a 444 Marlin Rimless. It would be a lot of work to form brass I bet, but not too bad. I would be willing to bet that if it were loaded with a Spitzer type bullet like a FTX or TTSX it would feed from a SA Centerfeed Magazine without too much modification.

I don't know if any of that helps but just some thoughts. :)

mutwagn
11-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I have thought about this also, a big bore Striker using the 450 Marlin. Easier to headspace on the belt.
Gonna need a good muzzle brake that's for sure :D
If headspaceing on the case mouth could be worked out, I also would look at a 450 Bushmaster. Very close to the 460 S&W, but with a rim that can work with a bolt action.
Andy

Eric in NC
11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
You can go with things that headspace on the case mouth (44 Auto Mag, 450 Bushmaster, 45 Winchester Mag) but there is a reason those haven't taken off (actually several reasons).

Have to go with a belted design (which I don't think will get you legal), one that headspaces on the case mouth (and deal with those problems) or go with another type of rifle.

spook1
11-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Has anyone tried a bolt action 450 bushmaster? Sounds pretty interesting. I have been looking more at the 458 and the 450 marlin. The bushmaster should provide plenty of range without too much recoil.