PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert an action to single shot?

TORCHRIDER
11-10-2011, 12:54 AM
I may purchase a Long action that was originally a 7mm Rem Mag with the intention of converting it to a single shot .338 Edge or RUM. It currently has a removable magazine with the push button on the action. How could I convert this to a single shot? Is there a decent stock that would fit this action as a single shot that wouldn't take a bunch of modifying?

GaCop
11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
If you eliminate the detachable magazine, you could use any long action stock. For single shot followers, look at Sharp Shooter Supply's, it may work for your application epoxying it to the receiver.

rjtfroggy
11-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Any long action stock will work,then get a single shot adapter from SSS and leave the mag off when putting it in the stock.

TORCHRIDER
11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
OK, I get the idea of installing the action without the magazine attached, but how does the single shot follower stay put in the bottom of the action? Is the only option epoxying it to the bottom of the action? How do you know where to epoxy it so it works correctly?

rjtfroggy
11-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Some just use a press fit others use epoxy. I guess it just depends how well it sits when put in.

TORCHRIDER
11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks and sorry for more questions. Does it go in from the top of the action and lay on the bottom or is it epoxied from the underside of the action? Make sense?

D.ID
11-10-2011, 11:33 PM
They go in from underneath and work well. The stock will keep it in but it may or may not rattle if you do not epoxy or put a block under it to keep upward pressure on it. I am using a choate tactical blind mag stock so I just filled the magwell with layers of 1/4" foam board and devcon bedded over the foam. It worked out great.

jgerrington
11-11-2011, 03:29 AM
I just ordered one for a blind mag. It sits on top of the factory follower. Not sure about the dbm

GaCop
11-12-2011, 07:19 AM
To add a bit of weight to my stock, I filled the mag cavity with sand and sealed over the top of that with about 1/4" of Devcon to the bottom of the SSS single shot follower.