PDA

View Full Version : Removing a live primer....

fgw_in_fla
11-09-2011, 10:04 PM
How do I remove a live primer without it igniting? A few months back I recall reading about someone with the same situation. One of the responders mentioned he had removed live primers with a die / decapper in his press many times with no trouble. Does this sound right or should I break out my fire suit?
Thanks in advance....

keeki
11-09-2011, 10:18 PM
thats how I always do it

thomae
11-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I have removed many by using a standard depriming die. I go very slowly, however so there is a gentle pressure, and not a sudden impact, on the primer being removed.

I have never had one ignite, but that is not to say that it will never happen, so...I also wear safety goggles, just in case..

Balljoint
11-09-2011, 11:22 PM
What is the reason for removing the primer, you can just load it in to the rifle and pull the trigger if using the die you will have to extend the decaping rod about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch down so the case mouth is not resized also several company's sell decaping dies and the primer can't be used again if that is what you want.

montana bob
11-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I've simply decapped them and even filled the case with water for a minute or so then decapped them.

airaddict
11-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Put a drop of oil down in the case to kill the primer then decap. Ive petsonally have never tried but i always hear that primers never go bad but if they r exposed to oil they r toast and will never ignite. Maybe some of the more seasoned reloaders can shed some light on wheither it would work or not. I only got 15yrs under my belt but never had to decap a live primer and have only had one primer misfire.....knock on wood!

Brian

gotcha
11-09-2011, 11:56 PM
I've de-capped live primers also tho' not over a half dozen or so. Primer Mfgs always warn about getting primers contaminated w/ oil or grease as causing them to be inert. Stands to reason a drop or two of oil in the case would render the primer inert. ( let it soak in for a min. or two) After de-priming blow the case out w/ brake cleaner. You for sure want to wear safety googles for both steps ;D I've never put oil in cases but, if you're concerned about safety this might work for you.

dacaur
11-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I've removed live primers both on my press, at the same station (but more carefully) as a fired case (also without adjusting the die), and also using a hammer type decapper (carefully), never had a problem. I have also re-used them without a problem when I primed a bunch of cases thinking I had re-sized them, but I had not, and also when I loaded ammo then changed my mind about the load... Pull bullets, dump powder, then in the de-prime/size die, remove primer while sizing, then put primer back in, never a problem, all rounds fired fine... I do make sure all my powder is put up when I do it.... ;D

the primer can't be used again if that is what you want.

fgw_in_fla
11-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Reply to all....
Thanks to everyone for the info. I didn't think about drowning the primer before removal. Must've been a senior moment or my CRS was acting up again (CRS = can't remember sh**). My son gave me 2 boxes of Winchester .270 ammo that had badly damaged projectiles. I broke out my trusty RCBS collet type bullet remover & removed them, disposed of the powder & thought to use the brass since it's new. My concerns came when I realized the primers were still hot. I use CCI as I hold preference to them.
Thanks again to all.

GaCop
11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I have removed many by using a standard depriming die. I go very slowly, however so there is a gentle pressure, and not a sudden impact, on the primer being removed.

I have never had one ignite, but that is not to say that it will never happen, so...I also wear safety goggles, just in case..

+1

Joe O
11-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Primers need a sharp strike toset them off.I have a universal decapping die(RCBS),which I have removed dozens of inverted primers,and reused them,without any problems.Steady pressure is to way to poceed,and as stated,wear safety glasses.

Luckus
11-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I agree, I have pushed a lot of them out with no problems, put them back in the same case and they work perfect.

Dennis
11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Primers need a sharp strike toset them off.I have a universal decapping die(RCBS),which I have removed dozens of inverted primers,and reused them,without any problems.Steady pressure is to way to poceed,and as stated,wear safety glasses.

I agree with the above but never reused any.

I do agree with putting a few drops of transmission oil on the flash side as this oil will enter quickly.

Never had one go off! YET, always could be a first!

squirrelsniper
11-12-2011, 03:20 AM
I've removed a few with a regular decapping die just by putting on safety glasses and raising the ram very slowly until I made contact with the primer, then it came out just like a fired one.

A bit of water works too if the thought of punching out live primers bothers you.

I don't advise using oil because you have to get all that residue out afterward or take a chance on ruining the next primer or powder.

ourway77
11-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I have decapped many primers and to date never had a problem. Make sure you wear the proper safety equipment (Glasses Etc.) I am 74 and have been reloading for 35-40 years If for some reason I find a better load I pull the bullets remove the decapping pin then neck size the case cause at times the bullets won't be as snug as I like them to be. Also live primers must be removed if you plan to sell the brass and ship them. As mentioned before live primers can be used again and with the high cost of components why throw them away unless you are a competition shooter? Good Luck Lou

John_M
11-12-2011, 03:37 PM
fgw, have you considered unscrewing the decapping pin on your neck sizing die about 4-5 turns so the pin never reaches the primer. Then run the case through the neck sizer die. Doing this will properly re-size the neck and save the perfectly good Winchester primers.
Good luck.
John_M