PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Picked up a model 99

PKRobbins
11-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Walked in the local gun shop BS spot today and my eye was caught by a lever gun with a narrow forend with a schnobel. I picked it up it is pretty rough but the cartridge sold me, 250-3000. I don't believe it's a collector but I want to turn it into a hunter. It is a 1951 manufacture lever boss is stamped 5C. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount and shows wear from the mounts. It's never had a tang sight put on it. I know I paid too much but this rifle was on my list. I've never refinished a rifle before but this one needs it.

Whats the best way to go after the rust on the receiver and barrel? Steel wool and oil? Will cold blue be good enough when I get it cleaned up? I know the thing could stand to be torn apart and well cleaned. Anyone got any directions for taking it apart? I ordered a parts diagram from Numrich. The wood doesn't worry me I can refinish it easy.

Axtell3
11-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice! Iv'e been casually looking for the same to pop up. With the rust, your on the right track, start with the minimum, and get more aggressive if you have to.

DonArkie
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I've been looking for the same model & cal. everyone here has them priced really high.