PDA

View Full Version : A proper group for assessing accuracy ?

Hammer
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM

A proper target group for assessing accuracy would have...

Three actions
Three barrels
Three shots from each combination

All nine action/barrel combinations would be randomly assembled for one shot, then unassembled/reassembled for the next shot. This would be done three times each.

All shots would be at the same target and the 27 resulting shots would make one group.

No sighters. No fouling shots.

Under 1/2 MOA would then make some bragging rights.

airaddict
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Man....u would need a pit crew at ur shooting table! But it would validate beyond a doubt the accuracy of a load over multiple barrels and actions.

Brian

hotbrass
11-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Hammer, you are wrong.

You need 347 actions, 83 barrels, and 1321 shots from each combination.

27 shots? May as well shoot three shots with the same barrel action and ammo. ::)

82boy
11-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I would have to say you would have to take a top notch shooter like Tony Boyer (Must be nice to shoot with him, at his range ;) ) to take the shooter out of the equation, and then shoot all the groups in a controled enviroment like a sealed warehouse.

DonArkie
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Man....u would need a pit crew at ur shooting table! But it would validate beyond a doubt the accuracy of a load over multiple barrels and actions.

Brian

Oh Yeah!!!!! with that :o

Hammer
11-09-2011, 02:25 PM

... you are wrong.

You need 347 actions, 83 barrels, and 1321 shots from each combination.

27 shots? May as well shoot three shots with the same barrel action and ammo.

Knew I had it wrong.

I had 347 barrels and 83 actions...

Eric in NC
11-09-2011, 04:32 PM
You also need to repeat the test at the equator and both poles with groups fired in the direction of the earth's rotation, against it, and perpendicular to it.

Not sure if you need to do it at both perigee and apogee as well - thoughts?

gotcha
11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
After contemplating all of the above, I can only imagine the difficulty of getting all barrels of a Gatling gun to shoot to the same point of aim. But, I'm sure SOMEONE has an answer.

Hammer
11-17-2011, 12:22 AM

It is important in assessing Gatling Gun accuracy that the target keep moving.

If the target stops it is not as likely to run into an on-coming projectile.