PDA

View Full Version : Crimp dies?

Kaianuanu
11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
After loading about 50 rounds for my 270win axis, I have saved enough money to upgrade to a lee single stage press kit. For the dies, I plan to do only neck sizing. My question is, if using a Lee collet neck resizing die, is it beneficial to use a crimp die also?

bootsmcguire
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I assume you are referring to the "Lee Factory Crimp Die". It can be helpful to have. I use it on my 308 and 30-06 hunting loads. It is a nice assurance that I shouldn't have any problems with my hunting ammo being bounced around and damaged from recoil, etc. Just remember to work up your loads as normal with this die, I wouldn't work up a load and then just start adding a crimp. I am sure that goes with out saying, but just in case. I have noticed that my ammo is usually more consistent when using this on my 308.

I don't use it for everything but it does have its place.

barrel-nut
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I use them on 30-06 and 7 Mag. Works well. Does seem to help improve accuracy, perhaps by smoothing out the pressure curve..? (their explanation)

John_M
11-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I use the Hornady Lock-N-Load Straight OAL Gauge and their Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator to create a dummy cartridge for every different bullet I shoot (.223 and .243).
For both calibers, seating the bullet .005" - .006" off the lands works about best for me. Once I settle on the exact "dummy round" I want to use for a specific bullet in both my .223 Rem and .243 Win I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die to crimp the bullet in that position. Using the Lee Factory Crimp Die prevents me from "nudging" the bullet deeper into the case each time I use a "dummy round" to reset a seating die.
I have also briefly experimented using the Factory Crimp Die at light, medium and full crimps on both the .223 and .243 and found no significant change in accuracy. So, I do not use it to crimp hunting or target loads.
Using the Factory Crimp Die as described has proven quite beneficial and convenient for me. :)
John_M

squirrelsniper
11-14-2011, 02:52 AM
I've never had much use for crimping dies in bolt action rifle ammo. However, they can sometimes help accuracy (but more often they hurt it) so it's worth having them around if you have the extra money and are willing to experiment. Personally, I feel the only crimp worth using is the Lee Factory Crimp die, the standard roll crimp that many seating dies will perform is not very good for accuracy unless your case mouths are all perfect and the bullets have a crimp groove just for that purpose.

barrel-nut
11-14-2011, 11:18 AM
+1 on Lee Factory Crimp die
I never got the "book" velocities from my 7 mag until I started crimping. Accuracy improved too.

243LPR
11-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Never saw a use for a crimp on rifle ammo. The only thing maybe would be a hard recoiling gun to keep them from getting jammed deeper in the case. If you're already collet sizing save your money.

seanhagerty
11-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I like crimp dies. I use a product called Consistent Crimp that allows me to quantify the amount of crimp i am applying. I have shrunk groups using this product.

I use Lee's crimp dies and like them.

Sean

lal357
11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
i used one for my 300win mag to keep the rnds from moving under recoil and i use it with my 223 ar-15 rounds .223 bench gun and my 308 bench gun i do not use it on i use a bushing die to hold the bullet tight .

henry1
11-25-2011, 12:54 AM
We used to not crimp, then one year we where 13 mi packed in with the horses and i stuck a 160 gr sierra in my 7mm Mag, so it sat like that for the week, we still both filled our tags, but after that grandpa started crimping and ever since i have always crimped my hunting loads for big game...
H.

243LPR
11-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Sounds like your OAL was too long.

henry1
11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
it was ;D, i was about 14 at the time. Dad has the same rifle too... his throat is long, and mine is short, thus he can shoot my loads but i cant shoot his....happend to be some of his shells in my gun.... never had a problem since...btw i dont mean to hi-jack this thread just giving someone some info. Now i dont go anywhere without having some kind of cleaning rod, and i always crimp my hunting loads, shoots a little better groups now too!
Henry.