PDA

View Full Version : new barrel nut?

bigred94
11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
i am sure the answer is out there but when i take the factory sproter barrel off my savage .308 and replace it with a heavy barrel, will i have to get a new recoil lug and barrel nut? if so can you post the link as to where to buy these items.(midway etc...)
p.s. the gun has never been fired

thanks

stangfish
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
You dont have to get a new recoil lug but I would. The stamped ones are tapered and cause some distortion. Probably the best 25 dollars spent on a savage. The Nut is ok but it pays to take a fine hone and lightly dust the high spotts of the action and nut faces.

bigred94
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
figured i would get a sss recoil lug, but was not sure if the nut from the sporter barrel with fit the heavy barrel

darkker
11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Stang has it correct, they are a "lock" for the barrel to action interface. All small shanks, and All large shanks are the same size respectively. Regardless of barrel profile.

csam
11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
"...take a fine hone and lightly dust the high spots of the action and nut faces."

Are you talking about the faces that mate ie: the back of the barrel nut and the front face of the receiver where the two mate? Are you removing material enough to square them (or at least flatten them) or just roughing them up for friction?

stangfish
11-08-2011, 09:39 PM
The faces of the nut and the action will capture the lug(sandwich). Ifthe nut and the action face have high spots or proud metal or are out of perpendicularity with respect to the barrel and action axis...you have a problem. Same with the stamped lugs that mic about .010 to .015 out of parralel.

bigred94
11-08-2011, 09:58 PM
so is there a nut out there that is better than the factory savage nuts?

wapaloose
11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes There is, Get on from Jim at Northland.