PDA

View Full Version : Stock for a Model: 11 FYXP3

msinsabaugh
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I've bought a model 11 FYXP3 in .308. My intention was/is to try to learn to shoot long range. Not being sure if it would be something that I would enjoy (or be passibly good at) I wanted to only invest enough to get a feel for the sport and decide later if I really wanted to spend the money for a good setup.

I assumed that I would be purchasing another stock for it so I'm not begrudging of that. And, having spent some time shooting the gun stock (with the exception of changing the scope that came with it out for a better one I had on hand), I find that I don't like the stock and am therefore ready to purchase one.

In searching the internet though I'm not 100% sure which stocks are available. For example, I got the impression on one web site that I could utilize any stock that is intended for a model 10, 11, 12, or 16.

Any information you all could provide me to help me figure my options out would be most appreciated.

Secondly, I'm thinking that getting a laminate stock would be a good idea. As I understand it, it would have added weight which if I were going to be carting it around hunting would be bad but if I am shooting froma fixed position would help me to be more accurate. I also understand that a laminate stock would be almost as good as a composite for not warping or anything. Any thoughts?

Thirdly (and lastly) any thoughts on a good thumb hole stock that won't break the bank?

BoilerUP
11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Any stock that fits your short action screw spacing (you'll have to check if it is 4.275" or 4.41") will work with your barreled action.

I would recommend the Boyd Ross FT stock; I have one on a Savage 110 and its very nice, especially for the money. If you want/need a varmint contour barrel channel, the Ross Varmint Thumbhole is a good choice.

darkker
11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
As said, double-check your action spacing, center-feed, etc.
IF you want rock solid for true long-range, 800-1,000 yards. I REALLY like my Choate ultimate sniper. It is VERY heavy for walking the mountains however. But for pounding 175's downrange all day, the recoil is nil.