PDA

View Full Version : New Poster, New Rifle

ligonierbill
11-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Greetings. I am new to this forum and awaiting my new rifle, Savage "Weather Warrior" in .338 Win Mag. It should be in next week, and I ordered a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 to go with. Lot's of firsts for me: There is a Savage in the safe, but it was made in 1941 (99 .300 Sav), so my first new Savage. First time to try synthetic and stainless. And first time to try the big .33 bore. This is my new elk gun, with hopes to get to Alaska. The "old" elk gun was my Dad's, and that I gave to my little brother. Good rifle: older 700 BDL 7 mm Mag with a good Leupold. I killed two elk with it, and hopefully he will do well also. Just had to have a new rifle for next year. I will make a report of my experience when I get her put together and out to the range.

joebogey
11-13-2009, 10:42 PM
You're gonna regret comin here.
Before ya know it they'll have you buyin all sorts of parts and stocks and reloadin supplies and usin yore wifes' hairdryer to bed actions and she's gonna wanna choke you and then your marriage is gonna be on the rocks and the kids'll be cryin for lack of clothes and groceries and you'll be on here lookin for the next big tricked out rifle and bookin prairie dog hunts. :(
Other than that, it's a pretty cool place..... ;D

Three44s
11-14-2009, 12:45 AM
You had better not upgrade to "paid member" ......... It will be your "down fall"!

Just kidding .......... well ............. maybe not .......!

But no joshing now: A big welcome to the Savage forum ........

A chapter of Savage Forum Anonymous opening near you soon!

Three 44s

ligonierbill
11-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I picked up the rifle and mounted the scope this week on a one-piece Leupold mount. I had one box of Federal Premium loaded with 225 Nosler Accubonds at an advertised 2800 fps. That being one of the handloads I'm planning, I took the show to the range. The 50 yard range was full, so I did my best to bore sight at 100, checked the initial scope mount, and sent one. First one on target--better than I expected. Fired the remaining rounds with reasonable success, but I only had one sandbag for a rest. I need to take some more gear next time to get her grouped and really dialed in. My impressions:
Like the Savage action; slick feed and positive ejection.
Accutrigger is as advertised. I just used the factory setting, and I may lighten it a bit, but great trigger.
Recoil surprised me--big push, but I'd much rather shoot this .338 than my slug gun. I would say no one wanting a .338 Win Mag should be put off by the recoil. On the other hand, I took my 6.5x55 along for a little practice while the barrel cooled, and it feels like a .22 compared to the .338. I plan to load some more Nosler 225's over IMR 4350, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to the range.

BobT
11-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a great rig for Elk! I have never shot the Accubonds but my favorite bullet for the .33 bores is the 210 grain Partition, you may want to try it if you get the chance.

Bob

PBR DRIVER
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
You have stepped in it now! Welcome...

GaCop
11-23-2009, 06:33 AM
You are now in the grasp of the "Dark Side".