PDA

View Full Version : 110 magnum action questions

TORCHRIDER
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
I have an opp. to pickup a 110 action from a factory 7mm Rem magnum. It has the flat rear and removable SF magazine.Non accutrigger.

1.Is this a large shank action?

2. Will this action / mag support the RUM cartridges? If not, what is the largest cartridge it will handle as a single shot or repeater?

3. Who makesa good varmint/tactical stock for this action?

4. Is this a good action for a custom build or should I look for a newer action (ie round back, CF, accutrigger)

5. If I want a good long range 7mm, is the Rem 7mm a good choice with heavy bullets or would I be better off with a 7stw, 7rum, or 7wsm/saum?

Thanks!

GaCop
11-06-2011, 06:57 AM
It's a small shank action. I'm not sure if the action will support the RUM cartridge, someone should chime in with that information. Look at the Duramaxx stock for tactical applications. A good stock for the money but will require bedding for best results. Quite frankly, the 7mm Rem mag is no slouch at 1k. I'd fire form the brass to the chamber eliminating headspacing on the belt, brass will last longer.

efm77
11-06-2011, 08:32 AM
It will handle a RUM. Many 110's have been re-barreled to RUM calibers and left small shank with no issues. You will have to run it as a single shot unless you do some serious work to the magazine opening and box. The newer centerfeeds have more room in them for the magazine. The mag box is still the same size but the mag opening in the bottom is longer. All you would have to do is cut out a section in the front of the mag box for the bullet noses to stick through and it should work as a repeater.

TORCHRIDER
11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. So it sounds like the 110 action for the 7mm mag is really not a magnum action and no different than a 110 long action, correct?

efm77
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, yes it is. They chamber several magnum calibers in it. The action used for standard cartridges is no different than magnum ones. Well, except the actions they're making for the 338 Lapua. It's not a magnum in the sense of being as big as one of the big magnum mauser actions if that's what you mean. Savage has made 110/116 actions in 375H&H, 7mm STW, 7mm & 300 RUM so I wouldn't say it's not a magnum action.

geargrinder
11-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. So it sounds like the 110 action for the 7mm mag is really not a magnum action and no different than a 110 long action, correct?

Could you explain that a little more?

Most factory rifles all do the same thing. The long actions are the same whether they are magnum or not. The only difference is the bolt face and maybe the magazine/feed lips. None of the major makers use a different "magnum" action.

TORCHRIDER
11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I suppose I am confused. I told a friend I wanted to build a RUM on a Savage action and he told me I need to get a Savage magnum action. So I found a 7mm magnum action, but apparently that is not a big enough action to support the RUM calibers unless you want to make a single shot. Does the savage action designed for the RUM class of cartridges go by a different model number? Sorry about my ignorance.

geargrinder
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
There is a RUM action, it's magazine opening is slightly longer than the magnum. IMO, not long enough for any bullet that deserves to be in a RUM case.

I hate to say it, but Rem's are easier to make into RUM repeaters. They still need to be machined, but there is aftermarket support for longer boxes that are made for RUM's.

Cycler
11-06-2011, 11:11 PM
I suppose I am confused. I told a friend I wanted to build a RUM on a Savage action and he told me I need to get a Savage magnum action.
Savage uses the large shank "magnum" actions for the WSM series of rounds mostly because their larger body diameter makes the chamber walls a bit thinner than standard diameter rounds. The regular small shank action is used for all of the more common magnum rounds.

efm77
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
"I told a friend I wanted to build a RUM on a Savage action and he told me I need to get a Savage magnum action."

He probably was meaning that if you get one already chambered for a magnum caliber then you won't have to change bolt heads.