PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 tactical in .308

longshooter86
11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I bought this rifle last year and so far very pleased with it. I have very easily shot .5 inch groups or less with this rifle at 100 yds with 175 smk. But I dont like the stock and want a change. I have not been able to find anything out on it really like twist rate or whether or not I have to buy LA things for it (stock, scope rails, etc.) or SA. it is an older model rifle and also has is a hidden mag. Any help that any one can give me will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Chaos_23
11-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Hey, I have this same rifle, which I just bought not too long ago. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it works like this. Three digit model number, i.e. 110, is long action. Two digit, i.e. 10, is short action. Measure the space between the action screws and this will give you the for sure answer. The following is copied from Sharp Shooter Supply's website.

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)
Striker:

Additional Notes:

- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series". This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change. Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.

- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.

- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system. The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 Ruger as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.

**The best way to remove any doubt as to which generation of short action you have is to measure the action screw spacing.

Also, if it has the bull barrel like mine does, I believe it's a 1:10 twist rate.

GaCop
11-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Hey, I have this same rifle, which I just bought not too long ago. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it works like this. Three digit model number, i.e. 110, is long action. Two digit, i.e. 10, is short action. Measure the space between the action screws and this will give you the for sure answer. The following is copied from Sharp Shooter Supply's website.

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)
Striker:

Additional Notes:

- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series". This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change. Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.

- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.

- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system. The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 Ruger as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.

**The best way to remove any doubt as to which generation of short action you have is to measure the action screw spacing.

Also, if it has the bull barrel like mine does, I believe it's a 1:10 twist rate.

+1!

longshooter86
11-06-2011, 01:34 PM
thanks guys, from the measurements that I have taken (taken 3 of them) all of them are right at the 5.062 mark. This from action screw to action screw with out taking it out of the stock. again thanks that helps me out alot.