PDA

View Full Version : Help with .308 stuck cases in die

cvento
11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Hello All,

I have run into a problem out of the blue that has me baffled. I was reloading some .308 Lapua brass for the 7th time (all 6 loads previous done using same procedure, 43gr Varget, 168 SMK - no issues).

My procedure for loading is as follows:
1. tumble brass to clean before running thru sizing/decapping die.
2. in loading block, spray with Hornady case lube at 45 deg angle from both sides.
3. run thru die to decap and size

This has always worked for me. I havn't loaded in a few months due to move, and needed to purchase a new can of case lube.

Following above procedure, I ran into a stuck case, with the shell holder shearing off the bottom of the case (just enough for the shell to pop out leaving rest in die)

I at first thought it was a fluke. Grabbed another die, repeated my procedure, and finished off the 50. Started another 50 (spray in block, etc) and 5 rounds in same thing.

After examining my cases closely, I found radial scraping all the way around the bottom of some of the cases as follows by the below picture:

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r434/Chrisv_photos/photo.jpg

The scraping on the cases I have never seen before. I have used this procedure for all my .223 reloading and .308, and never an issue. That of course doesn't mean I am doing something wrong, but this is a new one to me.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this and remedy?

Thanks in advance!
Christian

montana bob
11-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Just a thought, but when you removed the first stuck case did you scar the inside of the sizer die?

gotcha
11-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Bob, Obviously your die/dies are suffering from contamination from some sort of hard particles. You didn't mention brushing the inside of necks in your procedure. Trash from primer, powder & trimming can build up inside the case neck & be dragged out by the expander ball where it will build up & eventually get brushed off on the press down stroke then stick to the die wall via the lube transfered to the wall. Disassemble the die & clean w/ a bore mop that is a snug fit to the die. Is the die rusty inside? use another bore mop impregnated w/ metal polish, chuck into a drill & polish, polish, polish Nk. shoulder & body. Don't over look any possibilities of contamination including the spray lube. Spray some of the lube on a clean hard surface & chk for hard particles left on surface.(shake the can well)....... I live in a damp climate & clean & lube my dies after each use to prevent rust. You may want to switch to a lube (Forsters) that you apply w/ your fingers. If there's grit on the case you'll feel it when applying. If your loading block is dirty( spilled powder, dust from sweeping etc) the aerosol tends to blow trash up onto the case where the lube causes it to stick. The main reason I quit using aerosols. Hope this helps :)

gotcha
11-06-2011, 01:00 AM
cvento, Sorry for calling you Bob :-[ MY bad! If you're using Walnut media in your tumbler, throw in a clothes dryer sheet and run for thirty minutes. You'll be amazed at how much gritty trash the sheet will pick up. much of this stuff will eventually find it's way to your dies & will cause scratching of cases and/or dies. By the way, Welcome to the forum ;D

barrel-nut
11-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Make sure the Hornady case lube has time to dry before running thru the die. I had two 30-06 cases stick in the die, and both times I had just sprayed them and they were wet. I think the solvent that the lube is dissolved in to make it sprayable, thins the lube too much for good lubrication. Give it a minute or two for the solvent to evaporate and you should get better results.
By the way, the RCBS stuck case puller works well, as does their Case Lube and pad. I switched to this and never had another stuck case. I've never tried it, but lots of folks seem to think highly of Imperial sizing wax too.
Just my .02.

GaCop
11-06-2011, 07:09 AM
+1 for Imperial sizing wax.

SMK Shoe
11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I had a problem with hornady one shot. A newer can I picked up was almost allaresol and very little lube. Looked like a good coating of lube but mostly the aresol. Sticking case's and muscle failure trying to re-size. Shook the can well but nothing seemed to work. Can went in the trash and moved to imperial. Never looked back. I do like the dillion spray lube in the squirt bottle. I think Hornady changed to formula for the one shot and it's awful. :( :( :(

keeki
11-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I've been using mink oil for about 15yrs and never had a stuck case

bythebook
11-06-2011, 10:29 AM
+2 for Imperial wax I left one shot for the same reason.

cvento
11-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone!
I am going to get the cases out and really inspect for debris.

The One Shot is going in the trash and I will pick up some lube to apply with my fingers.

Thanks again for the great suggestions on cleaning the case necks and the dryer sheet in the media. I think I need to add a level on "cleanliness" to my reloading that I have not really worried about in the past.

Christian

keeki
11-06-2011, 10:56 AM
if your not close to a store that sells imperial or mink oil, just go get you some STP. It can be a little messy but it lubes better than all the paste waxes.

WALKER80
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
RCBS Lube and pad. I had the same problem w/ the one shot.