PDA

View Full Version : what does this primer mean?

henry1
11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Well I cant figure out how to post my pics. but ill describe it as much as posible, basicaly where the firing pin has hit the primer, normally the primer dents in...mine dents out, like a nipple, i have talked to some guys before and they have inspected my cases and we both determined that there is no sign of dangerous pressure. however after reading on here for a little while i thought why not ask! haha have been shooting my Ackley for over 2 years now...seems all the loads i have ever tried have come out with the little nipple thing on the primer, and after asking around about pressure and getting the same answers (that its ok) i have just continued to not worry about it. Will try to mess around and see if i cant get the pics posted! Thanks guys!
Henry.http://

gotcha
11-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Without seeing pics I'd guess your FP is adjusted to long causing the FP to push forward onto the primers anvil leaving an impression of the anvil at the bottom of the normal FP indent. Just a SWAG as I've never heard of such a problem ??? If the "nipple" you describe is at the bottom of the indent left by the FP & not protruding above the case head this would be my best guess. A pic would be a BIG help ;)

henry1
11-05-2011, 11:40 PM
haha thanks gotcha, only problem is i cant get signed in to photobucket... is there any other way to post pics on here? Sorry i will get them up some how...i want you guys to see em so bad! lol

here is some other general info...

savage short action, previously a .223. adams and benett bbl that is a .223 AI. Um i guess if i left out anyother valuable info let me know.
Thnks.
Henry

GaCop
11-06-2011, 07:13 AM
You may need to have a bushing installed in the bolt head to eliminate the primer flow.

henry1
11-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Ga, what would be the consequences of not? Is it still safe? Dangerous? Does any one else know how to post pics on here besides Photobucket?
Henry

Apache
11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
If you took apart the firing pin spring assembly, it's possible the firing pin protrusion is wrong.

henry1
11-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Have never even had the bolt apart, shouldnt have anything wrong with it since it was a .223 rem before the Ackley conversion. I wish i could get the photobucket to work but it is still not letting me create an account. For those of you who are interested in seeing the primmer, pm me your e mail addy. Thanks.
Henry.

gotcha
11-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Henry, PM sent. If you have any questions just PM me :)

GaCop
11-08-2011, 08:22 AM
If you took apart the firing pin spring assembly, it's possible the firing pin protrusion is wrong.

+1, check that too.

gotcha
11-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Hey, Henry, I'm on my fifth Corona now :D Go to savage 110 rifles, click on: Firing upon bolt closing by: switch barrel......... Go to Stangfish answer & click on the switchbarrel.com link. You know the trick of de-cocking bolt b-4 disassemble. There are pics here that should be of help w/ dis- assembly. Never mind the part about replacing the F/P spring. you won't be going that far. Luck, Dale P.S. I think it was stangfishes 2nd or 3rd reply. this guy mentions using light oil to lube bolt assy. I prefer light grease w/ moly it won't ooze out of the bolt & should be good down to 20degrees F. If yur 'Yote huntin' in real cold temps use the oil.

Dennis
11-09-2011, 01:18 AM
email me the picture and I will post it for you. I would like to see it!