PDA

View Full Version : 111FL 300 win mag Left Hand bedding

Uncle Jack
11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I recently bought a 111FL 300 win mag Left Hand and the first thing I want to do is bed the action. It's been over 30 years since I've "glass bedded" a rifle and need advice as to that is the current bedding material of choice. I'll probably use spray Moly for a release compound.

Also, I read a lot about aftermarket recoil lugs. What's wrong with the factory lug? Is it really worth the effort to unscrew the barrel to install a new one?

scratcherky
11-13-2009, 03:02 PM
A good material to use is Devcon Plastic Steel and a good release agent is Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

geargrinder
11-13-2009, 08:58 PM
I also use kiwi neutral for a release. I use Devcon or JB Weld for bedding. Devcon is thicker and easier to work with. JB is more readily available, it is a bit thinner and will flow a bit.

The problem with the recoil lug is that they are a stamped steel. This means that they are never quite flat and/or paralled. They work fine, but are an easy mark for upgrading.

Harriershot
11-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I have bedded six or seven rifles using Devcon 10110 and kiwi neutral shoe polish, it is the only way to go!

Charlie

Uncle Jack
11-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Okay, the Devcon guys have it. I'll probably use some old Johnsons past wax rather that the shoe polish. It smells better.

Another question....I have read that some guys only bed the flat surface of the recoil lug and relieve the lateral areas........????????? Why?

And how far forward do you go? I used to bed the full action and about the first two inches of the barrel.

geargrinder
11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
You only need to bed to the face of the recoil lug. The face of the recoil lug is where the pressure is applied, so that's the only place that needs bedding.

You don't want to bed the nut because unless you have one of the new smooth nuts the grooves will never align with the bedding.

I know that some will skip the nut area and bed a couple inches of the barrel, but most believe that it is not needed and that it is better for the whole barrel to free float.