PDA

View Full Version : How often do you switch barrels?

mugsie
11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm wondering how often those of you with a switch barrel rifle actually switch barrels, or do you tend to set it up for one particular caliber then leave it that way. I know it's always more fun building a new rifle, but short of that, do you find yourself switching often or not?

Terry Balding
11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Most of my Savage guns get a new barrel that stays on till it's toast. With my target rifle I have switched barrels 3 times in two months. It's easy to do and takes only minutes.

Terry

nuclabuyer
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I dont swap barrels, I get it setup and shoot it till the barrel is shot out and then replace it.

Carvera
11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I've got two dedicated actions that I swap barrels on frequently, just to play with something different.

The rest don't get messed with.

Scalian
11-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I always start off switching barrels, but seems like i always end up getting more actions and stocks to make complete rifles.

MrMajestic
11-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Varmints, Whitetail, Predators. Thats three times a year.

stangfish
11-02-2011, 11:27 PM
I always start off switching barrels, but seems like i always end up getting more actions and stocks to make complete rifles.

;D

Hammer
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Sometimes, but rarely, I switch barrels in the middle of a single group.

But sometimes it's fun to shoot three five-shot groups with three different calibers switching barrels randomly between each shot on the paper.

Shooting a 14-inch twist when the shot really calls for 13½-twist or using a #4 contour barrel when a #5 contour barrel is needed should not be accepted practice.

Even if the barrel is not optimum for that specific shot, e.g., the first shot would have been optimum for a 458 Lott and the second shot for a 470 Capstick, do not recommend switching barrels during a single Cape Buffalo charge.

But swapping barrels many times in a single morning, or a single afternoon, is common.

Swapping stocks, triggers, bolt assemblies, and scopes is about as common.

Hammer
11-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Just think, would you use a light-full choke where an improved-modified would be more appropriate ?

darkker
11-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Couple changes per year. Something different, and gives me something to do when I tire of a certain caliber.