PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 ejection issue

LHshooter
11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Greetings, Board:

I am new to the Brotherhood of the Barrellnut, having recently acquired a new Model 12FLV in 223. The rifle is very accurate, .6 to .7 MOA at 100 yards using my basic handloads, right out of the box.

My issue is that the Savage extracts the fired brass just fine, but fails to reliably eject the shell, even when operating the bolt quickly and forcefully. The empty brass often just ends up sitting on top of the magazine, or between the magazine and receiver wall. Loaded rounds eject just fine. The brass in question is brand new Winchester cases.

Is there any fix short of having Savage deal with the issue under warranty?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

JR

Joe O
11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Call CS at Savage and ask for a new extractor,explaning to them exactly what is happening.

darkker
11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
A little clarity needed here.

Quote: "My issue is that the Savage extracts the fired brass just fine, but fails to reliably eject the shell, even when operating the bolt quickly and forcefully. The empty brass often just ends up sitting on top of the magazine, or between the magazine and receiver wall. Loaded rounds eject just fine. The brass in question is brand new Winchester cases." End Quote

So does it not eject fired brass, or does it? Does it eject your older brass, but not the new Winchester??

If your problem is JUST the new brass, my guess is that it needs sized/trimmed.
Just because it is "new" brass doesn't mean it is sized, or trimmed properly. Did you run it through a full length die FIRST, then check trim length??
If you can eject the older stuff and the new stuff isn't flattening primers, then it sounds like the brass is sticking.

LHshooter
11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the responses.

To darkker: The rifle does NOT eject fired brass reliably; this applies to new Winchester, or previously fired Winchester, Fiocchi or Remington. The new brass was appropriately sized and trimmed prior to firing; the cases in question were once fired prior to their lack of ejection.

I find that the extractor cut on the brass can very by 1-2 thousandths in diameter; in experimenting, I find that the larger diameter extractor cut brass seems to eject much more reliably.

I called Savage customer service since posting, and they are sending a new extractor, detent ball and spring. More shall be revealed...

JR

darkker
11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Given that, I would say that the spring is weak.
Glad they are sending it to you for free. You can also get all of the mentioned parts from either Brownell's or Midway. Especially if you have some case-head seperations, the spring tends to take a beating and weaken.

Nice part of the simple system, is the replacement parts will cost you cents.... Shipping is another story >:(

sha-ul
11-02-2011, 11:39 PM
some issues covered in this thread,& other threads cited

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,44693.0.html

LHshooter
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
some issues covered in this thread,& other threads cited

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,44693.0.html

Thanks very much for the link... good information!

JR