PDA

View Full Version : Savage Striker Questions

ourway77
11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I am just getting into Striker pistols and have some questions. Striker action what shank size? If a barrel is already set up as a large shank can it be machined to fit a small shank action? I bought a Wheeler wrench and I tried to loosen the barrel nut on a savage Ml'er II and the wrench wouldn't go on the nut but about a 1/4" So decided not try anymore and sold the wrench. Does the Smokeless Ml'r take a different wrench? I see where Midway USA sell a barrel wrench so much cheaper than the other retailers. Has anyone used the Midway wrench or should I just go for the more expensive Wheeler one for changing barrels on the striker? There is a gentleman on the 6BR sight who make action wrenches to fit the savage has anyone used one? I apoligize for all the question but I figured I best stop as I have more. hope you can make sense of my questions? Thanks Lou

tyler.woodard04
11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
most are small shanks and all the nuts are the same other than the new smooth on. the wheeler wrench is what I use and it works fine .

snowgetter1
11-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I would ask Sin Arms, Devin, about the conversion of large to small shank. I have a Midway wrench and it works but the ends are much larger than the SSS wrench I have. I use the Midway wrench for removing original barrels and cut the SSS wrench so it will slip on allowing me to remove the barrel without taking the scope off.

ourway77
12-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I sent a PM but never got a reply. Maybe he didn't get it. I hate to bother the man but I did ask about chambering a SS Douglas barrel also recrowning it. If he reads this post maybe he will respond. Thanks for the other information. Tyler are you say all barrels are small shank I see they talk about large shank? Maybe they mean rifle actions? Really new at these strikers and the one that was built on a target action. Maybe that on would take a large shank barrel ?

ourway77
12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
BTTT Lou

tyler.woodard04
12-04-2011, 04:08 PM
with the strikers only the WSM's were large shanks. the others are small. the target action is a large shank.
do you have a true striker of a handgun built on a target action? that will make a difference for sure

ourway77
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
tyler I have factory striker in 7-08 W/30BR brand new Mggowan barrel with brake for this striker. I have a target action with a custom stock and a 17" Shilen barrel this is not a factory made pistol. Thanks for the heads up. I am slowly getting the hang of these pistols, I always had encores and contenders still do but slowly going to buy more strikers they ar really neat guns. I still like my thompon pistols all 21 of them, May sell some later on. Lou