PDA

View Full Version : Smooth barrel nut on new rifle

Murphy
11-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Am wondering if some kind person can tell me how a tool manages to grip the smooth barrel nut on my new model 16 rifle. Thought maybe there are serations on the under side of the nut where I can not see but really have no reason to take the stock off at this stage and as the rifle is shooting really well do not want to disturb it? The other thing that has been bothering me is that if I have to take the Accustock off, will it be necessary to do a whole new round of load development when I put it back together? I love this rifle, have just shot 3 three shot groups with 100g Sierra handloads and they went .39", .5" and .3" and that is about as good as my 11lb heavy barreled .220 Swift can do and this one is just an 8lb hunting rifle in cal. 7mm/08. :) :) :)

Eric in NC
11-01-2011, 09:44 AM
The nut has a hole in it and you use a spanner wrench.

82boy
11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
The newer nuts dont have hte spaner hole. SSS makes and sells a special wrench to take them nuts off.

savageboy
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
The one on my new Mod. 14 Am. Classic is smooth. I didn't see a hole in it when I took it out of the stock, I might have missed it though.

airaddict
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
A pipe wrench works well to if u plan to upgrade to a stainless or blued regular grooved one.

Brian

stangfish
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
These are a PITA by design. I have seen the nut cut of with a grinder. A Homemade tool was machined to work like the SSS and did not work. Heat was applied several times.... Nada. A hole was drilled and a drill rod pin was installed through the tool and into the nut, that got twisted and out came the grinder. Much care was taken to not damage the thread, but thread repair is easy.

Didn't try the pipe wrench but have heard it is a viable option.

Murphy
11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
To airaddict an others, When I decide to take the nut off, will try Brownels as they give good service to OZ. otherwise the pipe wrench and a new serated nut would definately work. Dont know why the changed it, the old nut looked ok to me? ???

airaddict
11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I did buy the wrench from SSS and got the nut off with some difficulty but luckly i found someone who bought it off me. Otherwise i would have been stuck with it when i only used it once. In hind sight i prob should have used the pipe wrench amd save myself the trouble of shipping it. It would be nice if SSS or one of our vendors rented one.....hint hint....lol.

Brian

sts
11-06-2011, 01:55 PM
couldn't you use something like a strap wrench?

airaddict
11-06-2011, 02:22 PM
The one i removed was gorilla tight. I had to carefully slip a small monkey wrench on the receiver for leverage. And that was w no help of heat or kroil or anything of the sort. Maybe if u heated it first.....maybe but i would highly doubt it.

Maybe u could file 2 flats on either side and use a big cresent wrench to budge it. It would be nice if one of our venders made some like that. It would make the grooved one obsolete or at least less liked.......hint hint......lol

brian

handirifle
11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
My old J series had a smooth nut, with the hole in the bottom. It now wears a serrated nut. Savage's biggest flaw, in my opinion, is they will not leave well enough alone.

I know some folks had issues with staggered feed, but I never have, at least nothing some tweaking of the magazine lips never cured. Many rifles have that issue. And in going to center feed, they also changed the bolt spacing? Come on, please. It's frustrating when I see so much stuff available for Rem 700's, and it's mainly because their design has been the same for decades.

Savage needs to learn from this. I KNOW they are aware of the number of folks that love to tinker with their rifles.

J.Baker
11-06-2011, 06:09 PM
It's frustrating when I see so much stuff available for Rem 700's, and it's mainly because their design has been the same for decades.

Savage needs to learn from this. I KNOW they are aware of the number of folks that love to tinker with their rifles.

The 110 remained unchanged from 1959 to 1995 (when they introduced a real short-action). Longevity has nothing to do with the availability of aftermarket parts for the Remington 700 - it has more to do with the fact that every nut job and his brother thinks because something's used by the military or police it has to be the best and/or they think they're some kind of couch commando.

As for Savage, yes they know...but they could care less. They're in the business of selling guns, not worrying about what their customers might want to do to the gun after they purchase it.

GaCop
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
It's frustrating when I see so much stuff available for Rem 700's, and it's mainly because their design has been the same for decades.

The 110 remained unchanged from 1959 to 1995 (when they introduced a real short-action). Longevity has nothing to do with the availability of aftermarket parts for the Remington 700 - it has more to do with the fact that every nut job and his brother thinks because something's used by the military or police it has to be the best and/or they think they're some kind of couch commando.

As for Savage, yes they know...but they could care less. They're in the business of selling guns, not worrying about what their customers might want to do to the gun after they purchase it.

Sad but soooooo true.

Varget 7-08
11-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Savage's biggest flaw, in my opinion, is they will not leave well enough alone.

Exactly.