PDA

View Full Version : complete newbie to savage centerfires with a question.

lilchub
10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
hello guys, i recently got a savage 110 in a trade and love the rifle. ive read the FAQs but i guess im overlooking the answer to my question because im sure its been asked several times before. the best i can tell my rifle is staggered feed, i know that some rifles can be changed to another caliber but the question i have is my rifle is chambered in 30-06 and was wondering what my options are as far as converting to another caliber. ive always wanted a bolt gun in 243 and i got a feeling that this isnt a possible conversion. the other question i have is with a staggered feed rifle, what parts are needed to convert? thanks for your time.

Cycler
10-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Your 30-06 is a long action and the conversion to .243 is very possible since the bolt head is already the correct one. A .243 fits in a short action but there have been many favorable reports of short action cartridges feeding well from long action magazines. It also give you the option of seating bullets longer than allowed by the shorter magazine if you wish.

earl39
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Welcome. It is possible and all you need to change is the barrel but you may or may not have feeding issues with a short action feeding thru a long action without changing the magazine but it may feed fine. Mine feeds fine if i don't rush it but i am loading 107 smk's fairly long.

lilchub
10-31-2011, 08:05 PM
thanks for the replies fellas. my rifle is a staggered feed and im assuming its what you call a blind box magazine, so exactly waht parts in the magazine would have to be changed to reliably feed 243? thanks for your help.

teebirdhyzer
10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
probably nothing needed to make the mag reliable. I bet it will feed just fine as it is. Just a really long bolt cycle, but like the other guys said, you can probably load up some really missile shaped rounds to reach on out there if you like.

lilchub
11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
i really appreciate all the help fellas, im sure ill have more questions as i start to tinker with this gun.