PDA

View Full Version : How to use a scope

bbradford71
10-30-2011, 08:07 PM
This is probable going to sound like a dumb question to most of you, but here goes. I was at the range today shooting with a buddy of mine and we got into a discussion of the proper way to shoot using a scope. We both have a vortex 4 x 12 on our rifles and at 100 yards I shoot with it set on 4x, my friend is shooting his rifle with the scope set on 12x. I was never/have never been taught how to shoot, just kind of self taught myself and do not really know what is correct. My feeling is that if I shoot at the lowest power then I can be more accurate, he feels the opposite. I was always under the impression that when you shoot at the highest power at 100 yards since the cross-hairs are larger then you have a larger chance for error since the slightest movement will have a greater effect on point of air, is that correct. I am simply trying to improve my shooting any way I can, to me knowledge is our greatest attribute for improvement.

Thanks

keeki
10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
your gonna move the same no matter how high your scope is turned up. the larger the target the less the crosshairs cover up and if you cant see it, its hard to hit it. Turn it up.

geargrinder
10-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Unless your scope has a first focal plane reticule, as you increase magnification, your reticule covers less target.

mike10
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Low or high power doesnt have any effect on your actual shot. As long as you can easily see your target clear than use what ever power you feel comfortable with, I personally like to use the highest power possible for the conditions im shooting in because on higher powers you get to see just how much the pulse of your cheek or the slightest little movement makes. Just because you are on low power and you cant see these movements because they arnt magnified doesnt mean there not there.