PDA

View Full Version : Older M110 in .223

oilcan
10-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty new to the barrel nut family and I'd like to pick the brains of some of the more experienced guys. Recently bought a used 110 in .223 at a very good price. Serial number is F025xxx. It even came with Maynard Buehler rings and bases! My original idea was to rebarrel with a varmint weight barrel, replace trigger and stock and make an inexpensive varmint rifle. Before I spent any money on it, though, I thought I should at least shoot it and see what happens. Turns out the sporter weight factory barrel is capable of occasional 1" groups at 100 yds. About one group out of 3 or 4 will be that small, the rest about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2. Not too bad. Got the 3-screw trigger adjusted down to 3-1/2 pounds with no discernible creep. Thanks, Mr. Furious for the FAQ guidance!

The rifle shoots well with 55 grain bullets. When I tried 68 grain Black Hills match ammo, I get keyholes at 100 yds. When I measured the twist, I got 1-14. Does that sound right? I was told by a local Savage fan that Savage .223 barrels were 1-9, he believed. Maybe they are today, but were not back when this one was made. Any guidance is much appreciated.

If I'm restricted to the lighter bullets, fine. Would just like to know from someone who has had experience with Savage longer than I have.

Are today's .223 factory barrels a faster twist? Can someone give me an estimate of year of manufacture? Inquiring minds and all that stuff . . . .

Best regards,

Oilcan ???

82boy
10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the site.
The older 110's where great shooters, and there is little diference between them and the guns of today. You may have one problem with your gun, you may have a first generation short action. (No off the shelf aftermarket stocks availble, you would have to have a custom made stock.) The way to tell is measure your screw spacing if it is 5.062 between centers it is a long action, if it is 4.522 then it is a 1st gen short action. (still uses long action parts.)

Yes, Savage had slower twist rates in the older guns. (As did everyone, and many still do.) Savage increased the twist rate in the 223 to 1 in 9 and they also offer a 1 in 7 twist in the 223. I believe the olders 223 guns were 1 in 12.

What ever you do dont sell, or loose the bolt head, them 223 long action bolt heads are rare, and highly sought after.