PDA

View Full Version : savage/stevens 416 remington magnum build

berf jerkah
10-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I am trying to find out if it would be safe to build a standard shank savage or stevens rifle chambered in 416 remington magnum. Ive had some people tell me the shank size doesn't matter and others tell me it will not handle the pressure. I see both manufacturers offer standard shank rifles in 300 win mag and the 416 rem operates with similar pressure. Does anyone know for sure or have any information that may help?

Blue Avenger
10-29-2011, 09:52 AM
when savage built one, it was small. 416 is a big bullet, but not extreamley high pressure.

Cycler
10-29-2011, 10:12 AM
As best I can tell, Savage builds all of their standard magnum rifles on the small shank action. The large shank is mostly used for the WSM family of cartridges due to their larger body diameter.

efm77
10-29-2011, 06:25 PM
It will work just fine. The first RUM's and WSM's Savage made were on the small shank before they went to the large shank and they have never recalled them. I think all aftermarket barrel manufacturers except ER Shaw will make RUM's and WSM's on small shanks. Just depends on what you want. You could always have your action opened up to the large shank size if you really want that. That's what I did. Not b/c I thought it was necessary, just because that's how I wanted it.

berf jerkah
10-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.