PDA

View Full Version : solving feed problems

yobuck
10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
awhile back i took a mod. 11 l.h. in 243 and had a new 26" brux barrel installed.
it is chambered in 6.5x300wsm.
i havent been able to get the magazine to feed properly even with new parts.
the other day i was in a gun shop and saw for sale a used but almost new l.h. 300wsm.
it is the stainless model with accu stock and trigger.
my question is would my barrel screw onto that action as it is now threaded?
i wouldnt mind a minor tuneup if necessary but wouldnt want to lose any legnth due to new threads.
i didnt use the nut on the rebarrel.
im assuming this would solve my feed problem?
it would also free up the 11 action and stock for another gun.

sharpshooter
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Did you use a 300 WSM magazine?

pdog06
10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Since you didnt use a nut on the gun you have now, your barrel would NOT be a direct bolt on to the new action. The threads should be the same, but you will need a gunsmith to re-headspace the barrel to the new action, which would require some gunsmithing work. It would swap out if you chose to use a barrel nut on the new swap, but most likely you would need to rethread the barrel to add enough threads for the barrel nut to be used. So either of these ways will involve gunsmithing work.

The easiest fix is to do what Fred suggests, and buy a 300wsm magazine that will fit your action. If you are still using the same 243 magazine that is your problem right there. Be sure to order the correct one for your action though, whether it be an older staggerfeed or a newer centerfeed style action/mag assembly.

thirty06
10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Being as most WSM are large shank and most 243's are small shank your swap my not be doable.

yobuck
10-29-2011, 10:27 AM
thanks for the responce. i did buy a new stagger feed short mag magazine. not sure about the follower being the original 243 or not.
part of the problem is the gunsmith i used hates savages. he lost patience early on with the magazine. at first i couldnt
even get cartridges into it. it was suggested here that i use my dremel to grind away a small ammount off the lips.
i did and can now get cartridges in. but they wont feed properly. my first choice would be to get this gun working properly.

ellobo
10-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Stay away from any and all gunsmiths that show any animosity to Savages. It stems from thier inabilty to work on anything but Rermingtons. Barrel swapping is foreign to them. Is he the same dude that installed your barrel with no nut? Does this barrel have a shoiulder on it that butts up against the receiver? And is he the one that talked you into aa nutless barrel? If so, stay a long ways from this dude.
El Lobo

jdg
10-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Stay away from any and all gunsmiths that show any animosity to Savages. It stems from thier inabilty to work on anything but Rermingtons. Barrel swapping is foreign to them. Is he the same dude that installed your barrel with no nut? Does this barrel have a shoiulder on it that butts up against the receiver? And is he the one that talked you into aa nutless barrel? If so, stay a long ways from this dude.
El Lobo

Sorry to hijack, but this is something I just went through. The PD gunsmith I talked to is a Rem snob, told me I couldn't install my own Savage barrel, told me I had to have a barrel wrench not an action wrench, told me there is no barrel nut......It goes on and on....All I ased him was if he had a go gauge for a .308 I could borrow. Said "I don't loan out my tools" Guess whos not welding up 870 recievers for him any longer!!

sharpshooter
10-29-2011, 05:22 PM
If you have a stagger feed, you will need a CRF bolt head, and a slot cut for it.

geargrinder
10-29-2011, 05:44 PM
If you have a stagger feed, you will need a CRF bolt head, and a slot cut for it.

I think it would be easier to make a center feed magazine work with the stagger feed action. It should be easy enough to do without another trip the a gunsmith.

yobuck
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
i dont buy savages because they allow me to do my own work. that is a nice fearure but im just not into that.
id rather pay someone with hopefully more knowledge than me. my concern at this point is can this gun be made to feed properly.
i know fred and probably others here are savage experts. where can i send it and expect to get it back in a reasonable amount of time.