PDA

View Full Version : 6mm br predator rifle

daddyhoney
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a chance at a Stevens 22-250 near new for a few dollars. Thinking about putting a quality barrel on in 6mm Br and use it as a walk around predator rifle out to 4-500 yards. I do not want a heavy load to carry so I am looking for two things: 1) what would be a reasonable barrel length/contour and 2) what twist rate for the heavier bullets? Any other good poop that comes to mind is welcome. Thanks,Gary

daddyhoney
11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Maybe a #3 queston also. What issues would I have with that little fat 6br round in that 22-250 magazine?

pa hog
11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I did a 6mm BR 1-14" Twist Lothar Walther 24" Varmint Contour from Sinman. That thing Shot 70gr Blitzking lights out, I never even tried to get it to feed. If I did one for 400-500 yards I'd do a 1-10" and shoot 90gr Bergers, 24" Varmint Contour.

cowboy924
11-12-2009, 08:53 PM
I just did the same thing recently. Mine has a 28" varmint contour barrel and sits in a reworked tupperware stock. It is definitely not a walk around gun. Fred at SSS listed somewhere on this site the optimal length for a 6br barrel at 24", but I think you would still want to go with a sporter contour to keep the weight down.

If you want to shoot the 105-107 grain bullets you will need a 8 twist. It still should shoot the lighter bullets well also. I haven't tried any of the lighter ones yet so I cant say from experience, just what I have read.

Feeding and extraction is definitely an issue. Here is a magazine mod that should work for feeding www.6mmbr.com/Rem700magfix.html (http://www.6mmbr.com/Rem700magfix.html) (6mmbr.com is another great site with tons of good info)
I also had problems with extraction. The brass is so short that in can shift enough once it clears the chamber that the extractor drops it. I did some very careful work with a dremel to the extractor and lengthened the ejector protrusion and got it to eject reliably. I haven't got around to trying the mag fix yet. I have just been feeding single so far.
I think you will like the rig you have planned, it just may be a bit of work to get it working reliably.

Good luck,
Luke