PDA

View Full Version : New Savage

Chaos_23
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Hi all, I've been looking for a bolt rifle for deer hunting so I can stop bumming my dad's Weatherby every fall. I came across this used 110fp a few days ago and couldn't pass it up. It's a .308 with a bull barrel, cheap Bushnell 3x9 scope, and not much else at this time.

I've got plans for upgrades, and I've started getting an interest in long range shooting. My plans thus far are: B&C DuraMaxx stock, Harris bipod (although I'm not sure what size to get), new mount and rings, a tactical bolt handle, and I'm not sure what else. I think I'll be getting a new scope in a few weeks due to a well dropped hint to my girlfriend. Looking at a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 from Midway.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi and I'm open to suggestions and recommendations! And without further ado, here's my new (to me) baby!

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb413/Chaos_273/photo.jpg

bootsmcguire
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Looks nice. The Duramaxx stock is nice, I like mine (even though I just traded it, but another will soon be on the way).

I like the 6-9 inch range bi-pod for bench and off the hood work, and 9-13 range for prone work and most hunting situations.

Tactical handle is a must, the Savage BT is ok, The SSS handle is great and there are several other great options out there. Do a search here and you will find there are many options.

A trigger upgrade may be a good choice depending on what trigger yours has and how well you like it.

Enjoy the new rifle.

Chaos_23
10-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I've looked at the SSS bolt handle, and I like how it looks. I don't really know much about bolt action rifles as I've been more of a pistol shooter and more recently ARs. The bolt handle that is currently on the rifle rattles some when the bolt is forward, is that normal?

Also, the guy I bought it from said he'd had a trigger job done, and it is a very crisp trigger. However, it feels rather heavy, and he said it was set at 5 lbs. This seems heavy for a precision rifle, how much would a new trigger/trigger job cost?

dnsmith
10-27-2011, 11:31 PM
chaos: hope you enjoy the rifle. I believe that rifle has the same 1-10" twist of my precision carbine. i will save you some of the frustration i experienced ... go with 165 g and up boat tail bullets. YMMV, but mine did not care for the 150 and 165 flat base hornadys and sierras. once i went to 165 g gamekings and 168 matchkings, my groups magically shrank. it might like the 175-180 g bullets even better, i just havent gotten that far.

in my neck of the woods, a trigger job runs $70-80. the quality of the trigger afterward will be directly related to the skill of the gunsmith .... use somebody you trust.

5 lbs is heavy to me. i like my hunting rifles to have a 3 or 3.5 lb pull.

i went down the road of using a heavy barrel rifle for deer hunting and long range shooting ... i ended up getting a separate rifle for long range shooting. once you add the bipod, aftermarket stock, heavy scope, steel mount and rings, etc, you're going to end up with a rifle that is unpleasant to tote into the deer woods. on the other hand, all that weight will make a rifle much more shootable at the range off sandbags. i made the precision carbine my deer rifle ... put a lightweight 2-7x scope on it in low warne rings, and it is very portable. no bipod, no stock pack, just a nice little hunting rifle. with the low power scope and a handload with the 165 gamekings, it can consistently hold 1" groups at 100 yds. for long range i have a remington 700 police, which consistently shoots .5" to .75" groups, but then again it weighs 10+ lbs with all the crap i have on it.

anyway, that's just my experience. you might be able to find a happy medium between hunting rifle and long range

Chaos_23
10-27-2011, 11:38 PM
I think you're right on the 1:10 rifling, I appreciate the tip. I've only shot it twice now (both times were today) and I've been using 150 gr bullets. I thought the groups were a bit big but I just chalked it up to user error. I'll make sure to pick up some heavier ammo and try that out soon.

As far as having separate rifles, that's sadly not in the budget at this time, so I guess I'll go with some trial and error trying to make this one dual purpose. Thanks again, and I'm loving this forum, I've learned a lot in a short time, with much more to learn!

ellobo
10-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the brthehood of th barel nut. The bedauty of the Savage is you can swap barrels. During hunting season use a thinner barrel, sometims found in this sites classified pretty reasonable, but, you have to be a member for 12$/yr. During shooting season put the heavy barrel back on. The do add ons as you can afford them.
El Lobo

Chaos_23
10-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Well I found out there's a gun show tomorrow, and I had a lengthy conversation with a friend about reloading, so I guess I'll have to go see how much money can get sucked out of my pockets this weekend. Can't wait to go shoot it again though, I'm gonna try to pick up some heavier rounds than the 150gr's I've been shooting.

stangfish
10-29-2011, 01:02 AM
* You can work the trigger after reading up on it. Check and recheck the three positions of the safety when working a trigger. Or buy the Rifle Basix complete trigger assembly. Timney and Rifle Basix both have replacement triggers suitable for hunting.
*165 gr and up for most 1:10(dnsmith)
*Get the best scope you can afford A 3-9 Ziess conquest is a great place to start
*I'll take your stock when you get a replacement
*Ellobo you have fat fingers like me ;D

Good Luck

ellobo
10-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Stangfish, I hoped you wouldnt notice, but they aint fat. Left hand I have bent fingers middle, ring and little that overlap when I type. old baseball catchers fingers. Reached for a slow curve expecting a fast ball and got the bat on the hand. Had to give up guitar playing. :-\
Guitar instructor told me not to worry, I was a lousy player anyway.
El Lobo