PDA

View Full Version : Forming 6.5-06 frome 25-06 nickle cases.

jeffman3
10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Will the nickle crack and split if I am trying to neck up 25-06 brass? I'm working on a project, and am considering all options. If I choose a 6.5-06 for my build; I will be using nickle cases to differentiate it from an-other 25-06 savage in the cabinet. I am concerned about mixing the ammo. I know 6.5 "shouldn't chamber" but it is close enough that I could see a mix up happening, at some point.

kslefty
10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
.007 is the difference which is about a notebook paper thickness. I have made a 25 souper out of a .260 rem which is just the opposite of your plan. I do not believe the nickel case will make a bit of difference on this small of jump.

Eric in NC
10-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Never tried forming nickle plated brass but if you want to keep brass with "wrong" headstamps sorted it is easy to cut a small notch on the rim with a triangular file.

Some folks also just color the case head with a marker.

jeffman3
10-27-2011, 03:09 AM
Thanks guys :) I am just concidering all my options right now. :-\ My concern isn't with me mixing up the ammo. It would be for my daughter and wife who use the same guns. I'm not saying they don't pay attention at the range, etc... just that two cartridges, that look so similar, could be mixed up if somebody isn't really paying attention. Nickle cases would be a major visual cue that this is the right/wrong ammo.

GaCop
10-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Can't say for sure. Best way to fund out is to try a few cases to see how they come out. The nickle cases are harder on the sizing die and may accelerate die wear.

darkker
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I have done 243-into-308 nickle cases with no issue.

Fat Albert
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
If you ever thought of useing nickle plated cases , you should read this first.
http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Nickel_Brass

darkker
12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
That article is hogwash...
1) He is comparing his "treated" brass cases to UN-TREATED nickle cases for smoothness.
2) He talks about the "rough" ID of nickle scratching the bullets.
3) He talks about how hard the nickel is, and it embedding in the bullet.
4) talks about the scoring of the bullet(due to rough case mouths) causing copper issues in the bore.

1) Compare un-treated to un-treated, or it is NOT apples to apples. It is also NOT a function of nickel, it means a bad lot of brass that THEN got plated. The entire reason that factories nickel plate in the first place is.... SMOOTHNESS!!! Cases feed easier, and don't get hung up on edges as easily.
2) ANY rough surface will scratch the bullet, that includes the rifling in your bore. Also not a function of "demon" nickel plating. My Lee equipment will take care of this whether nickel plated or not; so more of an argument for need of the correct tools instead of steel wool.
3) Again, mine are no worse than any brass factory case, but if this stuff is so hard, how is it that a soft bullet is able to tear pieces of it off? Also still not a function of nickel plating, a function of poor manufacturing....
4) How is a bullet going to copper worse if it is scored? Unless you think that the surface of the jacket is hardened, but the underlying jacket is not...

That article is loaded with "I've heard that..." non-sense. Rather than saying he doesn't want to use them, he seems to invent spooky innuendo's of why it could be bad. The author should be upset with the QC of this lot/brand of cases, not a plating job that has nothing to do with his complaints.

rdfrench
01-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Will the nickle crack and split if I am trying to neck up 25-06 brass? I'm working on a project, and am considering all options. If I choose a 6.5-06 for my build; I will be using nickle cases to differentiate it from an-other 25-06 savage in the cabinet. I am concerned about mixing the ammo. I know 6.5 "shouldn't chamber" but it is close enough that I could see a mix up happening, at some point.

why not just use the nickel brass in the 25-06 and keep the plain for the 6.5

handirifle
01-12-2012, 02:05 PM

why not just use the nickel brass in the 25-06 and keep the plain for the 6.5

I will also add, that since you mentioned other shooters could use this or the 25-06, I would paint the base of the 6.5 cases with red ink or something similar so that THERE IS NO MISTAKE. If your wife or daughter accidentally loaded one of the 6.5 rounds into the 25-06, the result could be catastrophic. I would bet money that with a little extra force the rounds would chamber in the 25-06, but seriously doubt the bullet would make it out the muzzle.

I have 2 mini 14'a and have thought many times of making my Target model into a 6x45, but mixing up the ammo with the 223 stuff is one reason I haven't done it yet. The other is the availability of cheap 223 ammo. Right now my ammo is interchangeable and that would end, but that is a whole nuther thread. Like I said, paint one!

taos
01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
when trying to tell the difference in cases that look alike, I have always used fingernail polish on the base of the cases. While trying to shoot a gemsbok I tried to force feed a 7 mag into my .264. Thereafter I bought lots of nail polish, with no more stupidity on my part have had no more problems like that. I remind you that I checked that ammo 19 times before leaving for Africa, and still had the problem. Pretty stupid of me. Now I paint them all and try to recall the color code,