PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Savage 64 autoloader barrel problem

Nettershakes
10-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I was just cleaning my 64f autoloader after shooting a couple days ago. No problems with shooting and everything seemed ok. I first noticed that when I would push a patch down the barrel it would be tight than about halfway down it would loosen up and than go back to being tight again the rest of the way through. I than gripped the barrel and ran my hand down the outside of it and felt a bump about halfway down. It seems to go all the way around the barrel and not just a certain side. Hopefully this makes sense. I'm just wondering if this is normal or I have a problem... Thanks for any help.

forger
12-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Nettershakes;
I'm sorry nobody has taken time to attempt an answer for you. No expert here, but if it shoots OK, I wouldn't fuss..since most .22s are not terribly expensive. It does sound like an original manufacturing flaw, so if it bothers you I would write or call Savage and let them give you an evaluation.
Who knows, they may have you send it in to be repaired or replaced.
Don't feel bad over having been ignored..I have experienced the same thing. Some forums really get a profusion of answers..others ? ...But I really like my Savages, so I stick with it !

GaCop
12-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a bulged barrel from an obstruction in the bore. If the rifle continues to shoot well, I wouldn't worry about it. Years ago I had a S&W Model 66 357 Mag that had a bulged barrel (a Travis Strahan match barrel) and it still shot extremely well.